New Shuttle Setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by millero, Jun 2, 2005.

1. millero

millero Aluminum Member

I posted this in OT but it was no help...

I want to build a new PC for everyday/mild gaming usage. I want to use a SFF case for the look and basically to have something different. I'm trying to spend as little as possible on this setup and really dont want to spend over 600, but I'm up to around 750 on my estimation so far.
    I'm wondering if this is a good setup for the price:

Shuttle XPC SN25P
    Athlon 64 939 3200+ Venice
    1gb DDR 400
    Radeon X600 Pro 256mb

I have HD's and DVDRW to put in it so I'm not worried about that.

I want to run a 64bit Athlon and want a PCI-E graphics card, thus the SN25P. Do you all have any suggestions to make this a better and cheaper setup? Also, will the prices of the graphics cards and processors drop any time soon?

Thanks for any help.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

stand back, and fucking listen to yourself. It has to be better? and cheaper? Okay, to get better, ditch the piece of shit shuttle. To get cheaper, ditch the piece of shit shuttle. Of course, then the size goes up.

I hope the drives you have are 8mb+ buffer and SATA. BTW, that X600 is a HORRIBLE card. Get the 6600GT.

3. millero

millero Aluminum Member

most likely i will go with the 6600gt. but i want a sff sized case, thus the shuttle.

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

I too would stay away from the shuttle, nothing but problems.

I don't care what anyone else says, nothing that small and cramped can dissipate heat well enough. Trust me, there are plenty of light weight cases you can get for easy transport to LAN parties.

5. AriS

AriS New Member

just put together the SN85G5v3 with 3000+ and a 6600gt
    i can leave the fan setting on noise level low while websurfing and it remains around 40C.
    when i play a game like WoW for long periods of time, i have to put it on noise level mid and it hovers around 35-39C. it's not loud as my old computer, but u can definitely hear it.

if you're really paranoid about the temperatures and noise, u can mod your shuttle by cutting out the fan grill in the back and attaching a 120mm fan, and cutting out the side of case to make room for the NV silencer. not sure if its same with the P chassis since u got a little more room than the G chassis.

6. millero

millero Aluminum Member

Size of the case for LAN parties isnt the problem. I want it to fit in with my home theater area as well.

7. diranged

diranged New Member

The shuttle is a kick ass box, ignore the haters. Most people think because they are smaller, that they must be less upgradeable or made of lower quality parts. Its just not true.

I have the SN25P right now, I've also had the SN85G4, and SN95G5. All great machines.

My setup:

SN25P Shuttle
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ CPU
    PCI-E ATI X850XT
    Western Digital Raptor 74gb SATA
    Western Digital 160GB SATA
    DVD+-RW Drive
    2GB DDR400 Memory

Its solid, fast, and very upgradeable.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, it is true... The shuttle does use crappy parts. Proven time and time again.

9. diranged

diranged New Member

By who. Point out some articles, reviews, or other documents showing this.

I can say that with the 3 shuttles I own, and countless friends who own them as well, we have experienced nothing but high quality systems.

10. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

What kind of temps (idle, light and heavy load) do you see with this setup?

11. diranged

diranged New Member

With my older Athlon64 4000+ and Cool'n'Quiet enabled, it would idle around 18-19C, and max out at like 50-51C when playing games. With the Dual-Core CPU, it idles around 40C because the bios doesnt properly support Cool'n'Quiet yet. I have seen it go as high as 61C while playing games, but thats it. It runs pretty damn well... i like it!