A&P new shot of the doggah.. V. strobist

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

strobist... :mamoru:

God I hate that word. Anyway....

[​IMG]

2. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

thats pretty sick. guessing the strop was on the front left of the dog. is it ur new wallpaper?

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

to much black IMO... just a little detail in the lower left would be nice.

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

needs fill....

5. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

i dont know i kinda like it as is. almsot gives it a gangsta mug
    kinda like this
    [​IMG]

6. turbodude

but notice the distinct differences in those two images, is that the Key is directed more toward the front of the subject, lighting his whole face. not just a side light. I think if the OP moved the light to more of a 30 degree angle to the cam, it would have come out better. and maybe up higher, and it would have that wrap around the snout

7. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

8. turbodude

strobist.com

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

hey guys

quick edu:

relatively dark room, snooted flash, exposure set to completely underexpose the ambient, making flash the only light caught.

I set the flash up at a very sharp 'short lighting' angle, and the camera at an equally short angle on the other side. I actually started at a dead on profile, but I really started to like how the light wrapped around her eye, but fell off extremely quickly after due to the snoot...

IMO, if there was more of her face on the broad side, or more fill, you would lose the feel of the shot. I have some with fill, and with her whole head exposed, and as a complete profile, but they don't really give me the same depth of character or emotion or whatever that I get from this.

I do think I might want to crop out a bit of the black on the Left side... Perhaps make it more of a square with her snout and ear being the corners....

Oh, and this is right out of the camera, sans the b&w conversion...

Any thoughts on the b&w conversion, while we're at it? I just started using the ACR 'convert to grayscale' method....

I do appreciate the comments though!

10. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

:cool:

I got the same kind of pic...only natural light, and a point and shoot camera.:o

11. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Nice!

I just got my cactus triggers, so now i'm obligated to flash EVERYTHING for the next 3 months...

12. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Did you get them from ebay through gadget infinity? How many receivers did you get? Review after you use it :x:

13. kristin

kristin my dog > *

:coold: I was planning on trying one of those on my dog sometime soon. Did you submit it for the L202 assignment on strobist?

14. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

That's awesome. Beautiful pup, too. It was hard to walk past the pits at adoption day at Petsmart yesterday. They're so cute.

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Thanks guys!

240sx - I got them off gadget infinities website, didn't bother with ebay...

I just got one receiver for now, wanted to test them out before I sank any more loot into em.

So far, I LOVE it. No misfires, no issues, very good distance, etc. Granted I haven't 'tried' to break em yet, but they've done everything i've needed em too...

The only thing that does bother me is that they tend to 'sleep' very quickly. I think this is whats happening when people talk about misfires... When they go to sleep, it takes 1 shot to wake em up, and they perform on shot #2. They even can fall asleep when you're repositioning the light or your subject...

So i've already gotten into the habit of hitting the test button before I shoot an exposure, just to make sure it's awake. I'm all ears if theres a way to fix this...

But I still think I'm going to use the Nikon CLS when I can. I like being able to change flash power from the camera on the fly and all that....

But for out of sight flash setups and using studio equipment, these will do just fine for me....

Kristen - details on Strobist L202 assignment? I've been reading those assignments, but have no clue how to submit or anything like that...

16. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i think it's very good considering the subject. it's difficult to keep an animal in one place, it looks almost as if this animal posed just for the shot. bravo

17. kristin

kristin my dog > *

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/12/lighting-102-42-ultra-hard-light-film.html

That's the assignment that it looked like you followed with the pic...

As far as submitting it, you just add it to the Strobist Flickr pool with these tags:

Strobist
    Lighting102
    assignment
    filmnoir (note -- one word)

That'll put it in the group with everyone who did the assignment and David will pick a few out to post if he likes them. :) You don't win anything but I'm sure the recognition is nice.

18. CombatWombat

CombatWombat oh shit, zombies bro

A white bounce to the left of the shot would have given it some nice detail in the lover left, but kept the same contrast and composition.

I like it anyway though.