New seagate drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Nov 15, 2009.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Anyone used the next gen Seagate drives? I know from talking to the drive cert guys at work that they are coming out this quarter but figured I'd ask you guys. I've currently got 6 1TB ES.2 drives and have had 4 fail within the last 1.5 years. You guys know if the next gen is much better?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm upgrading from 5+1 RAID-5 to a 14+1 RAID-6 soon.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

after having 3 of my 7200.11's die on me, I've completely dumped them for Western Digital.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

We run nothing but Seagate drives in our Xiotech SAN, drive failures are few and far between. Most are 350GB 15K drives.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm a big fan of the WD green drives. cheap, quiet, cool running. some say they aren't quick, but i use them for storage
    they are decently quick

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

disk drives in SAN arrays are not the same class as consumer grade.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: Same here. In my book you can't beat the WD Caviar Green drives for data storage. If you need something with quick and reliable performance in constant I/O applications, get the WD Caviar Black drives.

I've used a lot of Seagates over the years, and not that they're bad or anything per-se, I've had a higher failure rate with them than with any other brand I've used.

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

As others have stated, I've had a lot of trouble with Seagate drives recently (7200.9-11). I've switched over mostly to WD and some Hitachi. The Seagate ES/NS drives in particular are pretty shitty.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've had 1 samsung 1.5 tb drive and it will be the last samsung drive i buy. had to rma it after 40 days for tons of bad sectors.
    when it worked, it worked great though. super quiet and about 10 degrees (f) lower than my other drives on with a full load
    but then it shit the bed out of the blue

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've never had a Seagate go bad on me, but I've never used drives anywhere near as big as what you guys are playing with. At this point if I have more than 100GB of storage I at least RAID-1 the thing so they won't both shit out at once. If it takes me 8 hours to restore all my shit (and of course it will), I've just spent all the money it would've cost to buy a mirror drive.

10. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Yea, I wish I would have gone with Hitachi Ultrastar drives from the get go, but didn't know they were better in pretty much ever aspect than the Seagates. I may just slowly switch to all Hitachi drives, having a 6 Seagate and 9 Hitachi mix to start.

I have been very happy with Seagates RMA process so far though :coolugh: