New RPG created in Visual Basic

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Dec 5, 2002.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I'm really thinking about this today. Creating an RPG that resembles the old game play and mechanics of FF1 and DW1. I wouldn't begin the project without a solid story, along with many sub stories of course. There are a lot elements that I'd like to see and hear. Here is my wish list and concerns..
    • Characters will be unique and have their own form of personality.
    • I'm worried about creating this for a PC. People get distracted by AIM, MSN, OT, Email, ect. So far, the idea is to have a black background that fills the entire screen
    • The game will have no setup. In fact, it will run off a CD - entirely. It will be harder for me (doing a setup is quick and easy), but this is the route I wish to take.
    • Need a good mix of sound fx, midi and wav files. Maybe I should look into making them myself, or perhaps an OT member.
    • I need to think of the best choice of user control. Mouse? Keyboard? Both?

There are many considerations to take. I will take advantage of new technology.

Sorry, no screen shots, no story, and no general pics. What elements would you like to see? Something along the lines of "waterfalls becoming louder as you get closer to it".

2. make sure you can use a video game controller, RPGs just arnt the same without them

3. Dimka.m

Dimka.m Czar

you will still have to utilize HD for a saved game...

are you going to use DirectX for graphics and sound rendering?

4. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Good idea.

5. you have a plot line yet?

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Of course.

I would create a small INI file. There would also be an import/export saved game feature. Basically, it will copy the INI file to any destination.

As for DirectX... this project isn't even on paper yet. Let me think of the design, flow, and story first.

7. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Nothing solid. Just tons of mini stories. I need one general theme. I'll let you know.

8. im an RPG MASTER!

9. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

diff. graphic representation of new weapons. i.e ff1 had a red sword for flame sword.. blue for ice.
    remember story is the most important thing to these style games. and let me know when you get it done :big grin:

10. complex

complex Guest

sounds like a good idea, are you asking us for help?

11. surrender

surrender [ON MEDS]

Sir Fazle has to save the OP from the lair of the evil lord CHA CHI?

12. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I'm not really sure yet. :sad2:

I have tons of sub stories and puzzles in my mind, but I need some sort of overall theme. As in, an excuse for the person/player to have the quest.

13. Dommi

Dommi Guest

RPG (Report Program Generator) is a programming language that originated as a report-building program used in DEC and IBM minicomputer operating systems and evolved into a fully procedural programming language. Its latest version, RPG IV, is supported by IBM's leading minicomputer system, the AS/400. Historically, RPG has probably been the second most used programming language, after COBOL, for commercial applications on mid-range computers.

14. complex

complex Guest

how about the usual "town doesn't want to throw you out but you messed up a tradition from millions of years ago and now you triggered a dark force that's going to take over the entire world?" :big grin:

15. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Right! :bigthumb:

16. Kevin

Kevin New Member

In for after work...

17. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Hey, that sounds like a plot. :big grin:

18. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

WHat time frame are you thinking about putting this in?

19. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Oh crap... no time frame whatsoever. Free game too. I just want to make an RPG. I probably won't once I see the sheer amount of work involved. :-/ If I had tons of money right now, I'd quit everything and do this project.

20. JeTmAn

JeTmAn Guest

You should search classic literature/films for universal themes and choose one that you think would resonate with the particulars of your story. The strongest writing derives from ideas that appeal to the core of a reader's personality.

21. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

make sure i get a copy :)

22. interstate

interstate New Member

I was workign on one a few years ago. I did mine in C++ (Used VC++ to compile)

I created a DirectX wrapper and used that.. I got abou as far as Zelda for SNES was (im tlaking abou the game engine)

you could walk around.. enemies walked around.. scrolling screens, etc..

One day I decided to make a new map for testing purposes (with new background tiles) and I tested it out... worked great.. I didnt need the test map anymore, so i deleted it and edited the code to load the original map..

I compiled the program again, and it was completely messed up.. It was trying to load BOTH maps (even though one was completely deleted from my system :wtf: ) and kept flickering..

I couldnt figure out how to fix it (I hadnt changed any of the code, jsut the loading sequence to lead the test map)

I aborted the project and havent programmed anything since..

23. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

If you search around, you can find lots of public domain game art, music, sound effects, and stuff like that. I had quite a collection going on my old computer..

As far as writing goes, do you want any suggestions or ideas? I'm always open to help with stuff like that :big grin:

24. interstate

interstate New Member

I miss working in Visual Basic, if I could think of soem good ideas for programs, I would program something, but the only thing I ever want to program is games, and I suck at doing games.. :(

25. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I made a maze solving program about a year ago, it was pretty cool, worked most of the time once I got it tweaked and stuff..

You could try that :dunno: