new router help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ViciousTruth, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ViciousTruth

ViciousTruth New Member

i am having problems with my laptop connecting to my wireless. I originally had a dlink wbr2310 which at times i was unable to even find the wireless connection on my laptop. Now i have a linksys wrt160n. I have a dell e1505 with a intel proset internal card. Now everytime i connect to the linksys router, my connection signal would go up and down and eventually disconnect. My neighbor has a linksys router and i get a stronger connection from across the street on their "unsecured" connection. If i get another internal card would this help or are my settings on the router wrong?
    what should i do

2. wizziebaldwin

wizziebaldwin New Member

you didn't say what you are using ... XP? XP Pro? etc.

Look at the settings ... things to look for are Channel assignments, WEP encryption settings, ... actually if you are getting a stronger signal from across the street then your card is probably ok. You can also check your card by going to another hotspot and seeing if you get a good signal there.

Look at the settings for the router across the street duplicate those on your router (unsecured) and then start working on the security.

3. ViciousTruth

ViciousTruth New Member

im using xp media center