New Receiver question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by amill94, Oct 27, 2004.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I just replaced my receiver last night. I had an old Yamaha that was about 4 years old, and replaced it with another yamaha. However, I turned it on, and the volume level is at -40ish and the sound level is where I have it for normal TV volume. For music it gets turned to the low -30 range and its not really loud. Now this receiver is leaps and bounds better than my other one, but it seems like this one needs to be turned up louder than the other one. Does this sound right? for reference, the receiver mutes at -80 and goes up to about +3 or something.

Thanks

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

What were the watts/channel rms ratings between the old and new one?

3. 04

04 Guest

Even if the new one is 1/4 the power of the old reciever, that wouldnt explain the problems he's having. A quadrupling of power will only give you 6 decibel's which isnt a whole lot.

4. 04

04 Guest

It does seem somewhat odd that the tv has a stronger output signal than your cd player does. have you tried any other cd players to see if they have the same problem?

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Well its not that the cd player is louder..its just that I listen to music louder than TV. My old receiver was like 75watts per channel. The new one is 110watts per channel. I was talking to my friend, and he said sometimes receivers are just different as far as volume settings. The receiver goes to +10 and is usually around -37 to -40. So thats about halfway, or a little less, which is about where my other one was. I guess it just seemed different.

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Well, while 6dB's isn't a whole lot as you say, it's still significant. It's basically the difference in volume between the volume of a conversation compared to standing on a busy new york street corner. Anyways, the point you are trying to make, which is that wattage wouldn't matter too much, is still fairly valid. I think the most likely answer to his question is that the two receivers simply have a different scale. -30dB on his new receiver might be -40dB from reference 0dB on his old receiver.

amill94: I wouldn't worry about it unless when you are cranking it and you notice it clipping at a lower volume than your old receiver. If this happens, then there might be something wrong. Btw, you shouldn't turn it to positive dB levels, as usually this is putting the gains past the reference level and most likely will introduce clipping. If you need to turn it up this loud, you need a more powerful and more conservativly rated amp.

7. 04

04 Guest

Well the difference between 110 and 75 watts is gonna be hard to hear, so I really doubt that is the issue. I'd guess that the input sensitivity is just lower than your old reciever. Does your system get really loud when you crank the volume up to -10 or even 0 dB?

8. 04

04 Guest

That really depends on the street corner and the conversation. *I* personally dont think 6dB is significant amount in regards to his problem. 10dB is considered to be subjectively doubling the loudness, and you'd have to have 10 times as much power in order to do that. And that certainly isnt his problem, as his new receiver puts out more power than the old one.

That's what I would figure too. the input sensitivity is lower on the new reciever, or simply just marked differently.