New RAM Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ok, so it's been awhile since I tried this but I've only got 512MB of ram in my system. I tried to install another stick, also 512MB and the same speed, only to find my PC wouldn't post. I entered the BIOS and fiddled with some settings and got nothing.

I could use either stick alone and get a post but together my sys wouldn't post. I even took my comp up to PC Club and they didn't know what the deal was. They said I'd have to just buy 2 matching sticks then they'd prolly work. Well I'm reluctant to do that so I just said I'd pass.

They literally had no suggestions other then buying 2 sticks. So I got a refund on the one I bought. Anyone know why this would be an issue? I thought as long as the ram was the same speed and size, adding another stick was a mindless task. Apparently not.

2. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

Could've had two different timing profiles. You could've had a stick that was CL 2 and purchased a stick that was CL 2.5 or 3. When you were placing the second stick in the slot it was trying to run it at CL 2 and causing problems.

I ran into a similiar problem when I was upgrading from 1 GB to 2GB (2 x512 to 2 x 1GB). I had set my memory settings manually and the 2 x 512 sticks were very tight timings. Went to install the 2 x 1GB sticks and forgot to reset and the computer wouldn't post. It baffled me for a few minutes until I realized what I'd done.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What kind of RAM is it?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Timing profiles aren't that much of an issue. Faster RAM can run at slower speeds, and sometimes slower RAM can run at faster speeds. It all depends on what the circuits can handle. If he's got RAM with two different timing profiles, he should start off with the slowest timing profile and work his way up to get the best profile he can.

Or he can buy matching RAM. Either way works.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Hmm...not sure about the timing profiles. I'm not even 100% sure I know what those are or how to find them. I don't even know how I'd start off with a slow timing profile and move up from there...I don't remember seeing timing settings in my BIOS.

It's DDR ram, something like 3200 (400Mhz) or so. I was thinking it might be a MB issue also cuz I'm running a P4 800Mhz (non-hyperthreaded) CPU. I know, I should have gone HT but it's about a 4 year old machine and when I bought the parts the HT CPUs weren't out yet and I didn't want to wait....thinking I'd replace my unit in a year or so....lol

So the issue I was thinking might have caused this is it's a 533 Mhz FSB but my RAM only runs at 400Mhz. It's also an SIS motherboard and people have cringed when I said that before. LOL...maybe not the issue but I srsly don't understand this issue or how to even go about solving it. Especially when my local techs only suggestion is to either replace my 1 stick or buy 2 matching sticks.

Thing is, aside from this RAM issue, this has been one of the best computers I've ever had. It really been a rock solid machine.