New radeon 4850 problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homeless, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Homeless

Homeless New Member

I just upgraded my video card to a 4850 and I have nothing but problems with it. I have two distinctive problems which are as follows:

I get graphical corruption in games regardless of the settings used / clocks used (including stock clocks). Temps never go over 75c load

The second is a high pitched audio sound coming through my speakers when running atitool and just before a game artifacts.

I have tried the following:
    Reverting to stock gpu/cpu clocks
    Underclocking card by 200/300
    Reinstalling drivers (driver cleaner/sweeper was used)
    Removing audio card (creative audigy platinum)
    Switching PCI-E slots

System Specs:
    Intel Xeon x3220
    Crucial Ballistix PC 8500 5-5-5-15
    Radeon 4850
    Corsair TX750W
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    Windows XP

[​IMG]

Above is a screen shot of what my graphical corruption looks like. I should also note that when this happens, the high pitched audio sound is present. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

2. Homeless

Homeless New Member

I should also note that none of these problems occurred on my radeon 4550 and my stock 4850 fails Folding at Home instantly.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

High-pitched sounds usually mean overheating microchips. Do some research to see if there's a common problem with overheating on that card, and if there isn't a common problem with it, RMA yours and get another one.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I recently dealt with a computer acting up in several odd ways that wound up being that exact same memory gone bad.

Worked fine for nearly a year, and then bammo, nothing but weirdness.

Swapped out the memory, and the problem went away entirely.

I was getting everything from weird hardware errors that were not associated with memory, to having to reset several times before it would bootup.
    And to make matters worse, the motherboard was giving me a psu beep code, even though the psu works in my other computer, and also when I swapped the psu from the other computer.

Anyway, that's the first thing I would check.

5. Homeless

Homeless New Member

Update:

Tried reinstalling OS
    Reverting from cat 8.12 to cat 8.11
    Swapping out memory
    Updating Direct X

I have a workaround for the l4d problem, which is to disable AA/AF. However, it still does not solve my problem of Folding at Home GPU to crash instantly and ATItool still emits a very high pitched sound when running the scan for artifacts test.