New project: Microsoft Access or SQL Server 2000?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Feb 23, 2003.

?

Microsoft Access or SQL Server 2000?

1. Microsoft Access (No setup required, but questionable reliability)

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. SQL Server 2000 (Heavy, additional setup(s), but ultra reliable)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both (Offer both. Pain in the ass, but may be worth it)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I've been using SQL Server as my database provider for all my apps. It's been this way for the past 3 years. My current/new application is a single user program, but has the option for usage by many people.

[​IMG] The main menu

I believe that Access would be a better fit, and that SQL Server would be overkill. Then again, SQL Server is much better (in terms of reliability and scalability). If someone were to download the D Software program, they would have to install a 76 MB SQL MSDE program (I would use the free version of SQL Server). It's just missing the interface, something I don't need. With Access, the user just installs the program and begins using it. No setting up of the ODBC and SQL Server. So.. the question here is this: Microsoft Access or SQL Server 2000?

2. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

kind of seems too much for a regular user to download and install SQL server or install MS Access (maybe they dont even have it?) just to use D software, at least in my opinion

Last edited: Feb 23, 2003
  3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'm guessing what you mean is that you would only need a handful of DLL's to interface with the MDB file which makes things easier. As long as Access doesn't need to be installed, that's the route I'd go with.

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

On a project such as this, I think Access would be a better choice.

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

This is pretty easy...

Access for home users where the load will be 8 users or less at the same time. Access will do well in this envirnment.

Stick with MS SQL if you need it to be bullet proof and you're catering to businesses with the possibility of more than 8 people hitting the database at the same time.

From what you described, Access will fit very nicely.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

On a side note, it sounds like you are prepping this program for public consumption. Looking at the screen shot, it would appear to be diabetes related.

Is this for any particular meter? Do you need any beta testers?

7. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

You guys are right. Microsoft Access is the right solution here. This is for a home user, so an SQL Server would be over kill.

8. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I'm currently involved in two projects right now. This program (D), is my third project on the distant back burner. I'm not going to even look at it until this April/May. I was in the process of drawing up what I need, and I didn't want to juggle between Access and SQL. Basically, ask me again in a few months.

9. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

:bigthumb: