New Processor, Mobo, Ram, and Vid card buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WiKiD, May 13, 2004.

1. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

With PCI Express and all that stuff around the corner am i better off waiting or just going ahead and upgrading? Right now i am running:
    Athlon 1600+
    GeForce 3 Ti 500
    512mb PC-2100
    Asus K7V266-E Mobo (i think)

I am looking to spend about $500-$600 on a the upgrade so i can run the next generation games. I am struggling to run BFV right now.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I would wait a bit until 64-bit chips come down in price, they're still fairly expensive. If you buy a non-64 chip right now, it'll be outdated pretty quickly and you'll be wanting an upgrade again.

3. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

I say wait. Because even if you don't end up buying the new stuff, when it comes out the price of the stuff you currently could use will go down, so win/win.

4. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

wait for slot 939 64 amds to come out

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If you keep waiting then you'll never get around to upgrading. Just do it a little bit at a time. Up until A64s came out it was easy to do it like that. Now they keep changing the cpu socket. With ddr2 and pci express right around the corner it doesn't make it any easier, either. At any rate, all that you need is a new video card and possibly a better processor. A faster hard drive couldn't hurt, either. I'm guessing that you're using an ATA100 5400rpm? Another 512 RAM might also help.

The first thing that you need to upgrade is the video card. You can get a 9800 pro for around $200 now. If you don't want to spend that much then you could pick up a ti4200 for under $100. That will play games very well until pci express, ddr2 and athlon 64s get more affordable. At normal resolution with AA and AF off the ti4200 performs just as well as the 9600 pro. The picture quality is the same as well.

Here are the stats on my second system. It runs games well enough, as long as I don't turn the details up.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    1 gb pc2100
    ecs k7s5a pro motherboard
    Geforce4 ti4200 (64 mb 4x AGP)
    WD 30gb 5400 rpm hd x 2

I can play Farcry, Star Wars Galaxies, Dark Age of Camelot, Counterstrike and any other game that I throw at it with no problems. Either spend the money on a 9800 pro or save some cash and get a ti4200. A new video card and possibly another 512mb of RAM are the only upgrades that are really justifiable.