new problem, harddisk not being recognized, partially.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Apr 3, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

Heres the problem, I installed a 160 gb hdd a month or two ago, and its been perfectly fine. now im encountering some odd problem. with certain things that i try to open from teh hard drive, it gives me this error:

[​IMG]

if i click try again it gives me the same exact error immediately, if i click continue or cancel, itll give me the same error except the number on the end wil lbe differentm and it goes through about 5-8 of them. then i hear loud noise, sounds like a floppy drive working, then it gives me the errors again. and this cycle can go on 4 or 5 times, or 1, or 20. but some thing is odd because if i play a movie (.avi) for the new hdd in wmp, itll open and run fine. but if i open it with quicktime, i get that error. i also got this error when trying to run act of war from the new hdd.

anybody know how to fix this or wahts causing it?

thanks in advance

2. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

oops, i cut off some of the picture, after the "D" is an "R" followed by a "5", the number i sed that changes.

3. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

anybody ever heard of this???

4. badjasper

badjasper Guest

Hard drive is toast:sadwavey: :crying:

5. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

it works tho. liek i can still access it. as we speak, im dl'ing to it right now.

6. badjasper

badjasper Guest

General rule of thumb is, if it's making noise, it's bad. If you ran a disk utility on it you would probably find bad sectors and clusters (Sectors and cluster are physical to the drive). That noise you are hearing is most likely the read/write heads on the drive are trying to get data from bad sectors on the drive. It will keep doing that for a while and if it can't read, it quits and gives you the error. Your best and safest bet is to buy another hard drive and transfer anything you want to save to it before it's too late. I guarantee it will completely die soon.

7. Kaldes

Kaldes New Member

I had that message when I loaded Gaim, until I ran a Virus System Check and now it doesn't do it.

8. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well when it makes that noise, the light goes on for hte floppy disk drive. its the same noise as if u double click you floppy drive without there being a disk in there. makes the same noise, and the light is simultaneous to it.

but on the other note, how could this hdd have been fucked up so soon? i just got the friggen thing a month or two ago.

9. badjasper

badjasper Guest

You ever buy a new car just to find out that a month later it has a recall? It happens :ugh2:
    Of course there is one other thing you might try even though it's unlikely. Take an old drive and replace the "bad" drive with it and see if it does the same thing. IF it does, then your IDE controller may be bad. It's possible even though it don't happen too often.

10. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i did a scan for bad sectors on my hdd, it didnt find any.

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

It happens with really big hard drives sometimes. Be sure you hav all the windows updates, and any drivers that came with that hard drive. Belive it or not on the really big hard drives, there can be drivers, sometimes a board with new IDE controllers. Who makes that drive?

12. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

13. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Ha, I should have known. Mine did it too. I said fuck it, threw it into a external box thingy thing, and got an 80 gig hard drive to replace it. Now I use it as an external drive, and no problems. Dunno why.

14. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

well that doesnt make any sense. maybe i just dont have a secure connection? i dont wanna buy a friggen external hdd, i have no room for one nor the money to put into one.