New PC wishlist - critique please :)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by carpet muncher, Feb 25, 2003.

1. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Alright, very shortly I will start ordering everything for my new system. I'm hoping to hit the sweet spot concerning bang for the buck on most components. Here's what I've come up w/ so far:

Case: Not certain. Right now Enermax is looking pretty good. Trying to get decent power (400w+) and USB 2.0 front panel connections

Motherboard: MSI-6586 648-MaxL. I want AGP 8x, USB 2.0, 533MHz FSB, ATA 133 and this board does all that for a decent price.

CPU: P4 2.53GHz

Memory: 2 x 512MB DDR, PC2700, unbuffered

Hard Drive: WD 100GB, 7200 rpm, 8MB cache

Video: (MSI) GeForce4 Ti4200, 128MB DDR, AGP 8x, TV out

Monitor: 19" CRT-based flat (Trinitron-style). Nothing fancy but would like a respectable dpi.

Sound Card: Undecided. The board comes w/ AC97 sound onboard. I dunno how good onboard audio is anymore.

Speakers: Logitech Z560

CD-RW & DVD I haven't thought much about. Suggestions appreciated.

TIA :)

EDIT: BTW, I'm not stuck on Intel for certain. I just haven't gathered as much info on the AMD side of the argument yet.
  2. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

Mar 14, 2000
    Get a soundcard, especially if you're getting the 5.1 speakers. :uh:

Get a 5.1 soundcard, and you will enjoy it.
  3. eviltommy

eviltommy Guest

casewise: go antec/chieftec/chenming (all the same, antec's come with better power supplies) or lian li, i own both and still prefer the antec case design/functionality

motherboard: SiS648 chipsets arent that great, with the agp8x card you will get maybe 1-2 fps more in a game. intel chipset board + intel chip = best stability. look into and i845PE motherboard for the same price as that msi 648 you can get an albatron PX845PEV PRO, or an msi 845PE Max

cpu: good man!! i have a 2.53 overclocked 3ghz now. even at 2.53 is ridiculously fast.

memory: name brand chips are good, make sure they have lifetime warranties

video: for the money you spend on a 4200 you can get a radeon 9500 which supports DX9 and has better AA. unless u wanna buy my 4600 that I have for sale :big grin:

monitor: NEC FE990 or FE991SB have really nice flat tubes in them.

soundcard: onboard is decent, id still go for a hercules fortismmo 3, there like 40 bucks, sound great and do eax and a3d.

speakers: i have the z560s, sooo bomb!!!!

good luck...
  4. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Riceboy Slim: Audio is where I'm least informed right now. AC97 seems to come in 4-channel and 6-channel flavors. I just assumed 6-channel meant it supported 5.1. Good thing I asked :)

eviltommy: Thanks! Especially on the motherboard bit. I did a little research at Tom's Hardware Guide and I did notice the results for the SiS weren't quite up to speed w/ the Intel chipset. Now I have a particular brand/model to start looking at and comparing others against :bigthumb:

You like those Z560s? I mentioned them on another site and there's a huge debate that their rating of 400w RMS is BS.

For forward-thinking, do you think AGP 8x will pay off later? I'm wondering if it's a case of the video adapter manufacturers not quite catching up to it yet... (AA = anti-aliasing??)
  5. JJTheSubeDriver

JJTheSubeDriver WRX STi Driver

Jun 12, 2001
    Here's the system that I ordered that is coming on Weds (woot:) ):

Intel P4 2.8Ghz
    1GB Kingston PC1066 RDRAM
    120GB WD HDD with 8MB Cache X 2
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128MB of RAM
    SB Audigy 2 Platinum EX Soundcard
    Liteon 52X CD-R
    Pioneer DVD-R/-RW
    Inspire 6.1 Speakers