New PC Specs .. Rate?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AznRurouni007, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Wondering what everyone thinks, everything for about one grand ..

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8E 800 mHZ with HT

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800S INTEL 848P CHIPSET ULTRA ATA133 ATX

Chipset: Intel Breeds Hill i848P

RAM: 1024 Kingston DDR 400 SDRAM

BIOS: AMI (10/23/03)

Video: ASUS RADEON 9800XT-VTD 256MB DDR 8XAGP VIVO(VideO IN/OUT)/DVI

Audio: Integrated 6.1 Surround

Hard Drive: 160 GB Western Digital Caviar 7,200 RPM 8MB Cache EIDE

Network: Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet NIC

Optical: 2x LITE ON LTR-52327 52X/32X/52X CDRW W/SW (Retail)

Power Supply: 430W ATX

Floppy: SONY 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE

2. MP

MP New Member

looks good except for xp home

3. yeah .. that will be upgraded to pro in about 1 week, thx for comment, *shameless plug* if you people had the time, can you look into my other thread a couple spots down on this forum about pn1 and pn2 connectors? much appreciated

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

werd, a gentoo install would fix that :)

5. gentoo install? haven't heard of it, care to explain? =)

6. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

looks like a winner to me. I personally would have gone with a MB that was SATA 150 capable and an SATA 150 HD but that's just me. Looks great.

7. it is 2x SATA compatible, but iono if its SATA 150 compatible .. and teh WD 10k rpm raptors are just too damn expensive .. my games are running sluggishly, i don't think its my processor or ram, but its lagging .. and the only guess is that crappy nvida gforce 2 im using till i get my radeon in .. stupid out of stock -.-"

8. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

i heard that the prescotts aren't doing so well compared to previous p4's benchmarks. is there a reason you want it?

9. i didn't know i had a prescott .. kinda suspected with the HT tech, but intel said my chipset didn't support HT, anyways my CPU shows up as dual processors .. i got the 2.8E because the cache was 1mb compared to 512k for an extra 2 bucks ..

10. RedWuken

RedWuken Ph34r teh Wuken.

agreed

11. xp home v. xp pro // forgot the differences .. don't want to try longhorn just yet -.-"

12. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

the 1mb cache vs 512k might seem like a better deal, but thru benchmarks it really hasnt proven itself to be beneficial. It keeps up with the regular p4 is most cases, but in some it falls behind. I dont know the reasoning behind it, but I suspect it is because they are a new design and released prematurely. I would wait on the prescott cpus till the next intel socket design.

13. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

ditch the 2.8E and get a 2.8c, especially if you wantto overclock...the E's run real hot and you will need water cooling for oc-ing.

RAM-try to get some dualchannel if you can help it

and the rest looks great

PS. get a nvidia 5900 non pro and softmod it to a 5950Ultra instead of ATI...then again i am partial to nvidias...

EDIT:: forgot to mention about the mobo, if you are goingto want to overclock, get a asus p4p800 (865 chipset). ITs the perfect oc-ing mobo, and if you got a little more cash get a pc800E deluxe, rev2 (i875)

14. i don't know if i mentioned it .. i am sitting on this computer with those parts, lol .. its a little too late for the 2.8C but i'm alright with it .. seems to be running fast enough for me, currently at 50 degs. C out of the max of around 70. the RAM i have should be dual channel, but the mobo is a single channel one =/ .. as for the video cards, i wouldn't have the slightest clue how to "softmod," and i got a steal on the 9800 xt hehe .. 250 retail, i would want to learn how to oc sometime soon .. but as for now .. thats a little beyond my realm, if anyone wants to teach me, i'll have no problem with that though, continued thanks for everyone on their inputs