New PC - DVD's and CD's burning very slowly

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, May 28, 2006.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I just got a new Dell Dimension E510 and put my old DVD-ROM and DVD burner (NEC-3520A) in the new PC and have the same version of Nero and I'm using the same media, but with the new PC the DVDs and cds burn very slowly. Both drives jumpers are set to cable select and they both read fine, and rip movies normally, it just burns slow. Any idea what might be causing this, or if there is something I might not have set up right in the software that would cause it to burn so slow? Would it matter if I set one drive to master, and the other to slave, would that have any effect on the burning speed?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

First of all, if you have two drives on the same cable, one of them has to be Master and the other has to be Slave. If you chose the Cable Select option, then the same assignment happens, it just happens automatically.

Second, you need to go into your computer's BIOS and poke around looking for a setting that lets you change the DMA of all the drives in your computer. CD and DVD drives don't always have the DMA turned on, but they benefit from it. Your hard drive should already be set up properly, since it sounds like it came with the computer.

Third, if you are copying data from one drive to another on the same cable, regardless of what kind of drives they are, then you will lose speed. Set up your drives like this:

Primary Master: OS hard drive
    Primary Slave: Optical burner

Secondary Master: Data/Games/Whatever else hard drive
    Secondary Slave: Optical reader

This setup will accomplish:

- Putting the two hard drives on separate cables,
    - Putting the two optical drives on separate cables,
    - Giving the hard drives priority over the optical drives, which they need to have because they run faster,
    - Putting the optical burner on a separate cable than the hard drive that stores your data, and
    - Putting the optical reader on a separate cable from the hard drive that all your programs are getting installed onto.

If you only have one hard drive, set it up like this instead:

Primary Master: Hard drive

Secondary Master: Optical burner
    Secondary Slave: Optical reader

That way your hard drive gets a cable all to itself, and the burner will get priority over the reader since the burner is more sensitive to slow data transfer.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

the hard drive is SATA, not IDE so it's on it's own cable. I guess I can leave the jumpers the same and check the DMA settings as it sounds like that's where the problem is. The computer came with only one optical and one hard drive, but I never used it to burn anything before I swapped it out for my dvd burner. I plan to add a second hard drive, but Ia'm still looking around since I'll have to get a new hard drive since my other drive is an IDE drive and I need a SATA drive.

Everything works as it should except for the burn speed of dvd's and cd's... I have 16x dvd's and it usually takes about six and a half mins. to burn a dvd but it took over forty mins to burn a dvd when I did the first, and so far only one.

4. deusexaethera

The basic rule for IDE drives is to keep them each on separate cables if you possibly can. If your computer has two IDE connectors on the motherboard (and it probably does, it's more or less expected nowadays) then you should put each optical drive on its own cable. That might mean buying an extra IDE cable, but the performance increase is worth the extra couple of dollars.

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I have extra IDE cables from my old hard drives, but I never had this problem before with my old PC when both optical drives were on the same IDE cable. I think there is another IDE connect on the motherboard, but I think that is for a floppy drive.

6. deusexaethera

It will be instantly obvious whether the extra connector is for a floppy drive, because floppy drive connectors are shorter than IDE connectors.

I just thought of something: is the cable you're using for your DVD burner a 40-wire or an 80-wire cable? (the extra wires in the 80-wire cables serve to absorb magnetic interference and clean up the signal.) It doesn't really make a difference for CD drives, but DVD drives always operate somewhere around 8x faster than CD drives, so if your DVD burner is on a 40-wire cable, then the dirtier electrical signal will slow it down a lot.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Called UDMA5... Cd burners use it to. Requires 80pin cable.

8. deusexaethera

As long as we're nitpicking, I seem to recall the 80-WIRE cables (they're all 40-pins) started showing up when Ultra DMA 4 (66Mbps) came out. I didn't know CD burners had high enough data bandwidth to need the 80-wire cables; all the CD burners I ever bought claimed to use UDMA3, and they came with 40-wire cables. Not that I ever used them, because a cleaner signal is always a better signal, but whatever.

I'll take your relative lack of shit-talking as confirmation that I got this one right. I'm flattered.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think the issue may have more to do with him using cable select. Try master/slave.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

My buddies old Dell had this same sort of issue.

He upgraded to a DVD Burner, and kept his CD burner in there, so he could do direct disk copies. His performance was REDICULASLY slow.

Switching the drives off of cable select, and applying Master and Slave jumpers accordingly, proved to be the solution.

I also would not recemend putting a CD drive, especially on cable select, on the Primary IDE socket. That has caused problem for me in teh past. Specificly with Dells.

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

How do I know which is the primary IDE socket?

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I don't know how to tell the differnce? I just plugged in the wire that was already in the pc to the two drives.

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

aslo, I want to add a second hard drive to my system. I found this one at newegg for cheap, and since it's OEM it won't come with a SATA cable.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148131
    what type of cable exactly would I need? The power cable for the pc is already there, but there is no drive cable. I was looking around on Ebay for Dell SATA cables, but there were so many of them I didn't know which one I should get.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

just get a cheap SATA cable off of newegg. They're standard.

15. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I don't know what length to get. I'm looking on ebay and I see Dell SATA cables that vary in lengh from 6" to 33".

Oh, and I changed the jumper settings on my optical drives, I made the DVD-ROM drive slave, and the DVD burner master, and it works great... thanks for your help everyone.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

18" should be perfect. Also a standard size.

17. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

thanks that helps a lot.

18. deusexaethera

IDE connectors have one pin missing near the middle of the socket. Floppy drive connectors have one pin missing near the end of the socket. They're also shorter than IDE connectors.

If the IDE cable fit into the socket, then it's the right socket. Computer-type-people are pretty good about making plugs that only fit one way.

(except for those damn PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports)

19. deusexaethera

There should be a label like "PRI_IDE" or "IDE_0" or something like that printed onto the motherboard. If the sockets are numbered, the lower-numbered one is the primary one. If there's no label, you can always take the time-tested approach of trial and error; it's pretty much impossible to break anything so long as you don't shove the parts around.

20. deusexaethera

All SATA cables are the same; you don't need a Dell SATA cable, just so you know.

21. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Ok, now that I've changed the jumper on my dvd drives to master and slave, the slave drive is ripping dvd's very slowly, but the master drive rips very quickly... is there any way I can get the slave drive to rip fast again, as it's the drive I want to use for ripping dvd's?

Would it work ok if I put one drive on master, and the other on cable select?

22. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ok, heres what you do.

Throw the computer out your window.
    Then take that gun in your avatar, put it to your temple, and pull the trigger.

This stuff isnt difficult to figure out, and your making it more of a chore then it has to be.
    Use a little common sence, and it will all fall perfetly into line.

Set your master drive, as the drive you intend to use the most, and put it at the end of the cable.
    Then put your slave drive on the second IDE connector.
    Make sure your IDE cable is pluged in properly. And make sure your plugged into the secondary IDE chain.

Look in your BIOS, look in your Device Manager. Its not difficult.

Next time, dont buy a piece of shit Dell.
    Buy, and build your own computer, and learn somthing in the process.

Sorry, but im done helping. My patience = 0.