New paint: what do I do now?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by SkyAce2004, Oct 9, 2006.

1. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

I just got a fresh paint job. Its been a month and I want to properly seal the paint and give it a nice shine.

Would the propper process be:

-Wash
    -Polish
    -Wax

And how long do I wait between a polish and a wax?

Anything else I should know?

2. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

I'd recommend claying also to help remove overspray and other contaminants. In my experience with new paint jobs, the body shop usually wants you to wait 60 to 90 days before applying a wax.

All the polishes I've used (Meguiars #80, #83, #3 and S100 SEC etc...) you don't need to wait inbetween polishing and waxing. With that said, if you're going the sealant route, you might have to. For example, using Jeff's Werkstatt Prime which is a chemical polish, I let it sit for 25 minutes before buffing it off and applying a sealant. This is done so the sealant has a proper surface to bond to.

Do you know which polish and wax you want to use?

3. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

Well, im pretty impatient, so I went and did everything anyway.

I waited a month. The guy who painted my car said to wait 3-4 weeks. It was baked after being painted.

I washed my car and then polished it yesterday, then today I washed it again and waxed it. Both methods done by hand, no power tools involved.

Pictures:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=64753714#post64753714

I used Simoniz paste Polish from Wal-Mart (not sure of the exact name, label got peeled off)
    and I used Meguiars NXT liquid wax.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Decent shine, especially for doing the work by hand and using retail level products. Not crazy about that hood though but it's your car.

I'd definitely invest in a Porter Cable, pads and some enthusiast level polishes so you can take your finish to the next level. :)