GUN New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin found in contempt

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by krott5333, Feb 17, 2007.

1. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

[​IMG]

NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 14, No. 7 02/16/07

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS, MAYOR RAY NAGIN
    ONCE AGAIN FOUND IN CONTEMPT OF COURT

District Court Judge to City Attorney: Conduct "wholly unprofessional"

NRA and law-abiding gun owners won yet another victory this week against New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and former police chief Warren Riley.

Judge Carl J. Barbier, presiding over the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, granted NRA's motion for contempt against New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Warren Riley for "failure to provide initial disclosures and to compel answers to discovery" during NRA's injunction against the City for their illegal gun confiscation of law-abiding citizens following Hurricane Katrina in 2006.

"Once more, Mayor Ray Nagin and former police chief Warren Riley are held accountable for considering themselves above the law," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "These men have had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, every step of the way in this process to return the lawfully owned firearms to their own citizens, and Judge Barbier rightly found them in contempt of court for their complete lack of respect for the rule of law."

Furthermore, Judge Barbier concluded the delaying tactics by the City's attorney, Joseph Vincent DiRosa, Jr, were "wholly unprofessional and shall not be condoned." Mr. DiRosa admitted in Court that he had "no good reason" to explain his actions and has been ordered to pay partial legal fees to NRA's attorneys for their wasted time and money.

"Ray Nagin, Warren Riley and their attorney refused to provide vital information to the U.S. District Court for their unconstitutional acts in their city's time of great need," concluded Cox. "On behalf of the lawful gun owners of New Orleans, NRA is pleased with this outcome. We thank Judge Barbier for his swift decision and we will continue to press for the full return of all the confiscated firearms."

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

5. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I still can't belive the confiscations ever happened.

6. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

7. Aequitas

Your av is out of season.

8. t1h

t1h Guest

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Those in the military who did the confiscations aren't paid to think. It amazes me people trust them to not commit acts against our constitution and freedoms :dunno:

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I will give you my bullets sbefore I ever give you my guns. Its hard to believe that there aren't more people like me.

11. JaxFlJon

JaxFlJon Guest

I am fucking glad that the mayor took one in the arse for this bullshit I remember seeing the video of them taking guns from people.

12. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

The only suitable punishment is to take guns away from him and put him out of the streets of NO

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Didn't congress pass a bill saying that nothing like this could ever happen again? Granted the second ammendment should grant it, but apparently it didn't.

Also does anyone know if they just went door to door looking for guns, or did they know who had guns and who didn't? LA doesn't have gun registration does it?

15. Aequitas

Pretty sure they went door to door. They'd knock first, if no one answered then they'd enter with their own rifles at the ready.

16. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I really would have killled a few people before they got to my guns. Fuck that.

17. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Bill under consideration in Texas:

18. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

God Bless the NRA.

But Warren Riley is still COP. Eddie Compass was the Jackass in Charge when Katrina went down.

19. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Bad that it happened, but the city brought it on themselves when they first elected him. The unbelievable part is that they RE-elected him...even after all the stupidity that was shown during and after Katrina. Apparently the majority in his district is OK with tolerating things such as this.

At least the rest of the country can benefit from using him as a case study of exactly the wrong way to proceed.