New notebook!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Who-hoo! I've been computing off of several machines now at home but the fastest I have is just a K6-2 450Mhz - nothing special (gets the job done though).

My friends call me up yesterday and tell me there's killer notebook deals at BestBuy (my friend's roommate works at BestBuy). Trick is the BestBuy is 30+ miles from where I'm at and there's only 6 notebooks available and the sale was good only for that evening. I had my friend (who also co-owns the business we're in) buy what he felt was the best deal one they had using our company's funds (our first major purchase).

The specs:
    HP Pavilion ze5185
    P4 2.4Ghz
    512mb DDR RAM
    15" screen
    32mb ATI Mobility 6
    60gb HD
    DVD/CDRW
    built in floppy (kind of rare now days)
    10/100 NIC built in
    fire wire, 3 USB ports, S-Video out, video out, printer, (no serial port), IR

Grand total: $950 (my friend managed to talk BestBuy down from $1000). Word was they had a couple special order notebooks that no one picked up so they were selling them at 50% off. The notebook I got was actually a demo unit for BestBuy (hence the reason I did a fresh OS install - otherwise its in great shape!).

Then my friend lets me use his Cisco Aironet 350 wireless PCMCIA (no built in wireless gear on the notebook). Which of course meant I had to go find a wireless gadget so I could use the notebook around the apartment :).

Fun stuff. Now I can go out to client sites and demo our work and/or do presentations or be on the go and get some client work done. Plus I'm curious to find out what it takes to get on my schools wireless network (it sounded like you had to buy a Dell wireless PCMCIA card from the school which I think is silly).

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Nice price! :cool:

About the school network, you should have no problems nor configuration. Just boot up and you'll have a connection. With such a large user base as a University, I doubt they'll be using WEP or MAC filtering. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to manage. I know we don't at work (also school). ;)

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

bad ass :cool:

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Your Laptop has the same original specs as my desktop. :hs:

I have an HP ze4145, and it ran a lot faster after I reinstalled WinXP with a Windows XP Home OEM CD, and I was allowed to use the CD key on the sticker on the laptop. the drivers for the accessories such as the touchpad and vid card are availiable on HP's site if you want to try this.
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwa...osoft Windows XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

thats a hell of a deal

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I was really shocked when I went to HP's site to grab the drivers. They had a 42mb driver package for that class of notebooks (took just under 3 minutes to download over Adelphia for anyone counting). The drivers cleaned up some of the minor issues the notebook was having.

As for school access, I believe (and this means I haven't checked what they've been up to for the past year or so) they've worked out a deal with Dell so that you had to buy Dell's NIC. It wasn't 100% clear what they did differently, but those Dell NICs were the only ones allowed wireless access (either they tracked the MAC addresses or they were pre-programmed with something special). I'm going to try scoping the campus out on Tuesday and maybe visit the lab. A $100+ "technology fee" each semester should mean I should be able to get on their network without being charged out the ying-yang.

I'll load the notebook up with Net Stumbler and see what I find (last I remember, U. Akron put in 500 WAPs across campus). Sadly, this is nothing when you look at what Case Western Reserve U. is doing 30 miles away from Akron... *sigh*