A&P New Nikon DSLR?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MTech, Oct 5, 2008.

1. MTech

MTech New Member

I've heard rumors of Nikon putting out a big camera come Feb as if the 3 was aimed at (speed/low light) vs high MP's, but haven't seen lots of talk or anything on here. So I was out covering an event 2 days ago and one of the guys who works at the club shoots more or less as a hobby. He said the guy up at the shop he goes to was talking about the new Nikon they are supposedly putting out and (to no surprise) has video like the new canon... he couldn't remember what MP the guy said it supposedly is (rumors on net I've read are 24-30) however he said the guy refered to it as the "D12"

Anybody else hear anything?

:dunno:

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

3. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

Sensor can only shoot black and white :run:

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I've heard stuff about a D3x, medium format.

5. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

They found references for a D3x in some software updates for the D3

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

If anything, my guess would be a newer version of the D3 with the A900 Sony sensor in it. :dunno:

7. Yoritomo

Yoritomo dad's jar chimer

Rumor says they rejected using the a900 sensor cause they didn't like it.

8. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

And here I was wishing for a D3 prices to drop. :wtc:

9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

new camera in feb to be a pro body with 1/500 sync speed, and that is all i care about, so i'll buy 2. :)

10. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

11. MTech

MTech New Member

That's what I heard as well.... several people said D3x or D4..but D4 wouldn't make sense this soon. He said the guy called it the D12 and by the MP rumor it looks to be Medium format yes.

Wondering what the price is going to be :x:

12. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

There's a picture floating around with a sensor larger than the D3's so it looks to be a medium format. But who knows... too many photochops floating around.

13. MTech

MTech New Member

"
    We've been watching a few rumors drifting around in the past weeks regarding a possible new large format sensor from Nikon. A tip-off received yesterday by Nikon Watch ties them all neatly together.
    The background: Nikon put out a print advertisement in Rangefinder magazine, regarding an announcement to be made at next year's WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International) conference. The teaser reads "Don't miss it. It's gonna be BIG!"
    This subtle hint combines with a leak to Nikon Rumors which seems to show the specs of a new, larger sensor, called MX Format. The final piece of the puzzle comes from the afore-mentioned Nikon Watch: A reader tells them that the MX sensor will be a huge 48 x 48 mm. That's right, a decidedly old-school medium format square sensor. A big sensor that will sport a whopping 48 megapixels.
    This certainly ties in with Nikon's current strategy. The D3 and D700 both have a relatively low pixel-count for their sensor sizes, resulting in some very clean low-light performance. Instead of just squeezing more pixels onto the same chip, it looks like Nikon might be keeping the same pixel density and just making the whole thing bigger.
    Nikon Watch's source continues: The sensor will be similar in design to the D3 sensor and the camera itself will be able to use existing FX (full frame) lenses via an adapter. This will give a crop factor of 0.5x -- pop on a 50mm lens and it will act like a 25mm lens. It will also shoot rectangular pictures by cropping the image from the sensor, which means that you can choose either landscape or portrait orientation without actually moving the camera. Finally, the camera wil be cheap. Not D60 cheap, but a lot less than the current $40,000 offering from Hasselblad.
    Now, allow me a little speculation if you will, in the style of the Scooby Doo gang piecing the evidence together. The official Nikon ad appeared in Rangefinder magazine. The announcement will be made at a conference for wedding photographers, a group who shoot a lot in dark places (churches and wedding receptions) and like to print very large pictures. Could we be looking at a giant rangefinder along the lines of the old Mamiya 7? A rangefinder with stratospheric ISO settings? It would certainly be a lot easier to handle than a big medium format DSLR.
    We'll see. If this comes true (and we certainly hope it will), then it will be one more victory for the new, revitalized Nikon. Come on, Canon -- let's see what you've got."
    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/09/nikon-readying.html

Also:
    http://www.nikonwatch.com/2008/09/04/nikon-digital-rangefinder-mx-format-medium-format-ish/

[​IMG]
    "The picture on the right, which was sent to NikonRumors shows a list of image sensors and underneath them the image size in pixels. The FX and DX sensors are already well known but at the top of the list is a sensor called MX and the sizes suggests it will have an image size of 40.7MP."
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/New-format-for-Nikon

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I have also heard from some close to Nikon that you're likely to see the D3x, which will be a higher resolution version of the D3.

Like in Canon, the D3 will be geared toward sports and faster shooting with a lower MP rating and the D3x will be over 20 MP and be slower and designed for studio work. Much like the Ds series is in Canon's line.

15. MTech

MTech New Member

[​IMG]

Till now only few camera makers like Hasselblad were in medium format digital cameras business. But, it seems that will change soon. Last week, Leica announced that they will launch S2, a 37-megapixel medium format digital SLR. And now, SlashGear is reporting a rumor that Nikon will launch its 40.7-megapixel medium format digital SLR in February 2009 at Wedding & Portrait Photographer International expo (WPPI). :x:
    A picture teaser for WPPI 2009 says “ Something big is coming to WPPI this year. Something so big we can’t even tell you what it is. How big? Big enough for WPPI and Nikon to reserve the world-class MGM Grand Arena! You can’t afford to miss what WPPI and Nikon have in store for February 2009. We really shouldn’t say anymore, but we will. Next Month!”
    It has been rumored for quite sometime that Nikon is working on a medium format digital camera. Additional, recent Nikon lenses have been purposefully over-provisioned with larger image circle than needed for 24” x 36” image sensor. According to SlashGear, these lenses will be useful for both current Nikon camera and the medium format MX DSLR that will have bigger image sensor. We will definitely get more information before the February event via leaked information and images, so stay tuned.

16. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I really couldnt care less about this.
    And I would say the same thing if it was Canon.

17. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

You seem really into this--do you plan on picking one up?

18. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

says the sports photographer shooting with a 5d.

ibadamstartscryinglikeawomanabouthowthe5disgoodforsports

I've been talking with the director of photography here, and if this is what it's shaping up to be, we'll be picking up 5-10 plus a nice range of Nikon pro lenses... Might actually replace some of our digital Hasselblad and Mamiya systems...

So I might not have to buy one myself.. :noes:

19. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Word..I know RIT will be all over this as well..along with CS4 wooo

20. MTech

MTech New Member

I want to upgrade but really step it up. I was thinking the D3 but with all the rumors I'm waiting. I know a lot of guys on here get good inside info so I figured I'd see who comes up w/ what and hopefully sort out the BS Rumors from what they're actually putting out.

Plus in all honesty I had a slight moment of thinking about switching brands but after looking into more pro talks about canon/nikon pro/cons and just looking at their work I still prefer Nikon. I'd just like to hear what the real deal is on the new cam, and more importantly how it will fit into budget. I'm crossing fingers they keep with it in the fact they're usually less money than the Canons.

21. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Damn, you're mad baller. :hs:

I thought you were one of those dudes that just posts rumors and can't even afford the gear. :o:o:o

22. MTech

MTech New Member

Well with the economy and not knowing the price of the supposed new cams being able to afford it is still questionable :noes: I know it will pay for itself in the long run though.. The only thing aside price that would hold me back is it being too slow w/ that hi MP count. I'm hoping they really get on the ball and come out with an all around winner in terms of speed/quality/features. :x: