New motorola cable modem is router-resistant (because of lightning?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Schaboinken, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Schaboinken

Schaboinken Guest

Recently my house was struck by lightning. It was really damn loud, I dont think it was a direct hit, but at least one of my electronics got fried--my cable modem. Some surge protector.

Anyhow I got a new cable modem today. Its a motorola sb5100 surfboard cablemodem. The problem is it no longer works with my D-link DI-604. The router is incapable of renewing the IP address. If I hook up the modem to an individual computer, however, it works like a charm. I dont think road runner has gone as far as to release router-resistant modems, and I also dont think my router was struck by lightning (it still lights up and accesses the computers fine.) Does anyone know what I should do? I already e-mailed D-link but that will take a few days and they'll probably send back pushover advice.

2. Elusive

Elusive New Member

Have tried resetting you're router? I have the same modem and when I first got it I had the same problem until I reset it.

3. Schaboinken

Schaboinken Guest

reset it? how

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

There's a tiny little hole on the back and you use a paperclip to hit the little reset button that is recessed in that hole...

I had the same question :o

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'll keep my mouth shut on this one. :bigthumb:;)

6. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Some providers' modems/DCHP servers record the MAC address of the network card you first used and block all others. Other providers have them configured to accept the first several cards you used before denying based on the theory that you have a laptop or some other device.

Try setting your router's frontside MAC address to that of one of the other computers that work with the modem and see if it gets an IP address then. Btw, you should be safe from MAC address clashes if you decide to use that computer on the internal network.