New monitor, pixel policy/warranties.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Silfx, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Silfx

Silfx New Member

Atm I'am in the market for a new PC monitor looking for something of atleast 24" because I want to have atleast a 1920x1200 resolution to work on. I also want a fast monitor no input lag and low latencies because I tend to do my fair share of online shooters.

After alot of research I decided to go for the Planar PX2611W due to its good response time and only ~12ms input lag. All other monitors I looked at featured either a S-PVA panel with overdrive giving alot of input lag or were cheap TN panels which got horrible colors/viewing angles the only MVA panel I saw was an LG that received horrible reviews as well as looking it up in the shop and the image quality was like meh.

So I decided to go for a Planar PX2611W which unfortunately is not available in europe so I looked at some american web shops true http://computers.pricegrabber.com/f...m/36039355/search=PX2611W/st=product/sv=title
    where it listed alot of webshops that sells this monitor and with the current euro - dollar course very cheap as well even with shipping costs. THe only problem I got is I don't know any of those shops I would prefer to order from a shop that offers a complete dead pixel policy's or is willing to do so at a added fee, would also remove the risk of having to send a non working monitor back to the States if they pre check for function/dead pixels before shipping. So my question basically is are there any shops that have such a service? Here several shops offer a standard 100% pixel warranty and some for a added cost.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I can't remember the last time I saw an LCD with a dead pixel. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But no, I don't think any shops in the USA offer a 100% dead pixel warranty.

www.newegg.com is a good site to buy computer parts from.

3. Harddrive

Harddrive New Member

i vote for Newegg as well.

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

OfficeMax has a additional plan where they will replace the monitor for any reason, even a single dead pixel

5. deusexaethera

Will OfficeMax ship to tulip country, though?

6. Silfx

Silfx New Member

already checked Newegg but they don't ship international neither does Officemax by the looks of it and they don't have that specific monitor.

Main idea of pixel warranty / pre-check besides the obvious dead pixels was the guarantee of a working monitor and not run the risk of having to pay International shipping fee's multiple times for having to return a product but seems there isn't something for that so just going to order and hope for the best :).

So just ordered at a shop called Calafornia Computer center, one of the cheaper ones listed which also got one of the lowest shipping costs and allows for international credit card which should save some hassle. And they have a decent/good customer score on pricegrabber

Thx for the advice all :)

7. deusexaethera

Do you have any friends in the USA who can receive the package and ship it to you?

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

12ms is not good for an lcd screen. everything i've ever owned has been 8ms or less

i bought my dad an lcd screen from tigerdirect. i got him an INC screen, it was pretty cheap. it arrived with one dead pixel, in the corner nearly the system tray, funny thing is that he will never notice it

i bought bought a really cheap laptop year ago, it was a syntax desknote. its screen had a hot pixel about 2 inches from the left, towards the bottom. for the most part, it didn't bother me, unless the screen was totally black, then it would show up blue.

i've bought samsung screens and hdtvs and had zero dead pixels. my macbook has no dead pixels, it's hit or miss

9. Silfx

Silfx New Member

know a few people vaguely in the US, not someone I would ask for something like this even though I don't expect it to be a problem if I would have asked them.

as for the 12ms I was talking input lag not response times which is 5ms for this monitor, input lag is delay between sending the signal and displaying it. This is generally slowed down by technology's as overdrive, interpolation or dynamic contrast, overdrive because to lower response times it buffers 1-3 frames wich gives gen 33-55ms delay this is done to lower the response times, interpolation slows a monitor down due to it have'ing to recalculate for the given resolution, why/how dynamic contrast slows it down I dont know :).

Basicly you got several type of panels TN, PVA and IPS, current PVA type panels use overdrive because the panels are of the slowest kind this way you remove ghosting but get input lag, older IPS panels got this as well, TN panels are fast on there own but give the worst color's/blacks as well as terrible viewing angles vertically, there is also MVA panels which is kind of a hybrid between IPS and TN.

the monitor I got is an H-IPS, IPS monitors got the best viewing angles, colors and least backlight unevenness or backlight bleeding but are also the most expensive and relatively rare, its slightly slower then new generation of TN monitors wich is 2-3ms in response times but besides the poorer colors/black levels and viewing angles they are also the cheapest panels and gen used in "cheap" budget monitors TN monitos generally have alot of backlight unevenness and the most backlight bleeding

10. deusexaethera

Make sure the screen you buy uses a DVI cable. The picture quality is so much better with DVI, I can't adequately describe it. Most importantly, the dynamic contrast function gets disabled when you use DVI, so the picture is clearer and easier on the eyes.

11. Chris

Chris New Member

I thought NewEgg had one of the stricter pixel policies, they require like 6 or 8 dead ones before they will RMA

:dunno:

12. trano

trano Guest

i think there is a warranty.
    if i recall correctly it was
    if there are 2 dead pixels less than 1 inch apart you can bring it back for warranty. if there are more than 4 on the screeen then you can also being it back.