New monitor looks choppy when playing games

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homeless, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Homeless

Homeless New Member

In any game I attempt to play at any resolution / refresh rate, the game looks as if it was running at 4/5 the speed even though I have a constant framerate. Other than gaming, the monitor works flawlessly (videos, browsing, etc).

I have tried numerous things such as changing graphic drivers, windows settings, and game settings with no avail. Others have suggested that I play on the native resolution instead of any other resolution, but that does not work either.

I guess I should also note that I did not have this problem on my previous monitor BenQ Fp93gx. Currently running WindowsXP with monitor drivers installed and all settings at default. The monitor I am using is a dell e248wfp. I have a feeling that this is just a misconfigured setting so any insight would be helpful, thank you for your time.

2. Homeless

Homeless New Member

I have narrowed this down to when I attempt to use a refresh rate of 75 (at supported resolutions) in games. I play most games at [email protected] which is supposed to be supported, but when I run them at 75hz, everything begins to be choppy. Anyone know of anything that that will possibly fix this?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Wait... you're running a 24" monitor at 800x600?? :slap:

And wtf trying to use a higher refresh rate for an lcd.

Keep it at 60hz

4. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Playing games at 800x600 on a 24" LCD ... you fail at life.

Using 75Mhz on LCD ... you once again fail at life.

:uh:

5. Dr. Smooth

Dr. Smooth dazed and confused

:rofl: 800x600?? use native resolution bro

6. Homeless

Homeless New Member

playing games @ 1920x1200 on a geforce 6800 vanilla isn't exactly the best idea... As for 8x6, I only use that for one game since i play it somewhat competitively and I haven't changed my settings for some time, nor do I want to. As for the 75hz remarks I do understand that it doesn't work the same way a crt does, but it still does change things when gaming.

I prefer not to be bantered if i'm not being pointed in the right direction.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's not so much banter as you might think. You really do want to run at native resolution, and cranking the refresh rate up is ftl.

8. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Doesn't running an LCD at above 60 run the risk of ruining it?

9. Homeless

Homeless New Member

I do understand that native resolution is always best, but my computer isn't fast enough to use native for anything other than desktop / videos. Your LCD won't be damaged as long as it's stated in the specs that it can run at the speed. The reason for wanting the highest possible refresh rate within specification is that the mouse can make smoother turns when gaming. I still can't find an answer to this problem and dell hasn't gotten back to me, so if anyone has any clues I would be grateful.

10. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

I've have read that even though a LCD monitor accepts a 75hz signal, the screen is still updated at 60hz, and the extra frames are dropped.