New Mobo installled but now games run like shit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ihkskim, Aug 7, 2005.

1. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

i had a msi mobo 865p but it burned out and now i bought an Asus p4p800-e deluxe 865p but now when i play bf2. it runs like crap the FPS is LOW. i use an x800 256mb Pro. i don't think swapping the baord should have done anything to the performance espeically when i get a better board than before

any suggestions?

2. sholnay

sholnay New Member

clean install of everything :dunno:

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

:werd:

you can't just swap motherboards and hope its going to work just fine and dandy. You can try using Driverheaven's driver cleaner, to remove all chipset drivers, videocard drivers, etc. Then reinstalling all the drivers. It might work, but you still might require a fresh install of windows.

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Any motherboard change should always constitute a fresh install of you operating system.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Damn I'm surprised it even booted after the swap. Even with the same chipset, Windows usually blue screens if you swap motherboards under it.

6. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Usually the only reason Windows will bluescreen after changing boards is because the drive controller (integrated into the chipset) is different, and when it tries to load the wrong driver, it can no longer access the boot drive. Changing the IDE driver to a generic one in Device Manager before swapping the hardware will get around this. I have had installs of 2000/XP that went through two or three different boards using this method. Windows simply ditches all the old devices and installs or prompts for drivers for the new ones. No reason this should cause any problems at all.

It won't work when the computer type (ACPI/PnP setup) is significantly different. I had to do a full reinstall when I switched from a P4/865PE to an Athlon64/SiS 760 GX.

I can't really fathom what would be causing this problem for the OP. Obviously it is the same chipset and everything should work the same, perhaps it is some minor difference in chipset version... maybe something strange is going on with the AGP GART... or other such obscure weird problem. Check the BIOS settings or simply reset them to default, then I would suggest removing and reinstalling the Intel chipset driver package. If that doesn't work, a repair or full reinstall is probably the simplest way to resolve it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  7. Poon

Poon New Member

8. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

Uh, maybe I'm reaching here, but I've had serious problems with purely swapping a motherboard for another of the exact same model, including network and USB problems as well as BSODs. Might just be me, but this has happened recently with my MSI RS480 motherboard and the motherboard on a Thinkpad X31 (network and USB on the first, complete belly-up on the second). I'd highly recommend a fresh install with a replacement motherboard, whether or not it's the same model.

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

thats funny because i just downloaded my new motherboard BIOS, when i went to play BF2 after reinstalling it, i had the same problems, shitty FPS and could barely play, it was like super lag, i just deleted the BIOS and went with a older version, not sure why it happens

10. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Teehee. By tomorrow my windows install will have had THREE DIFFERENT CHIPSETS RUNNING ON IT!

My dumb ass blew my A7N8X-X on thursday, shorted the mobo with conductant and slapped in an old generic AMD chipset board from a buddy, now it's going to have ANOTHER mooched board, an ASRock K7S8XE+, and every one I've seen or dealt with is a piece of shit. He claims this one works, but I need to hot glue the battery's positiveside to the broken terminal via an IDE wire, because he broke the terminal.

Why the haste? I have a LAN today.

EDIT: I've been at the LAN for six hours now, Windows is running 100% stable, and I have the fastest rig here.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005