New mobo/chip will post to bios...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

but it won't let me boot to a harddrive or boot to a cd if the harddrive is hooked up to the system. I have tried 2 IDE harddrives and 1 Sata harddrive with the same results. Am I missing something stupid because it doesn't seem possible that a mobo could have its sata controller and its ide controller go out at the same time. If no harddrive is in the system, it will boot into the windows installation cd just fine and go through everything until it needs a harddrive. With a harddrive in the system it will either boot a black screen, or one that says "boot to cd press any key" and then it will freeze when you click a key. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

So I'm assuming this is a bare hard drive, with no os on it yet, and you are just trying to get an install going?

Or do these drives already have an os on them, and you are trying to get them to bootup on a new motherboard?

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

what do you have the jumpers set to on the hard drive and cd drive? Do they show up properly in the bios?

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Yea, bare drives trying to format. They show up fine in the bios. Jumpers set to master and drive is on it's own cable.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

In the bios, did you look in the standard bios features, or the advanced bios?
    The drives will show up in standard, but it's advanced bios where you have to
    shuffle the order around so that you have the cd-rom booting first, followed by the hard drive.

6. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

We got it working, apparently the board is really picky about the IDE setup and jumpers and cables and shit so we just used a SATA and plugged it into a different port and it is up and running now. For some reason we had to plug the sata drive into a certain port to use it as the boot drive. Fuckin picky computers, but yay media center.