SRS New Meds

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sublime335, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

So I went to the doctor today and was prescribed wellbutrin for depression and lorazepam to sleep. I'm not that worried about the one to sleep but I'm very worried about the depression meds. I have never taken anything for depression before and i dont want to end up a zombie. any info on this stuff?

2. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

tends to make you hornier? damn it I'm already horny all the time.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth New Member

Oooh Oooh!! I just got a new drug guide for the Nursing clinicals I'm starting in January. I'll look it up!

Is it regular Wellbutrin?

Also, how old are you?

Off the top of my head, many doctors prescribe Wellbutrin not only for depression, but for ADHD as well. So as far as being "zombified", that's probably not likely. I know what you mean though--I was on Prozac for a couple of years, and I was generally "passive" about things. I needed an adjustment, and have been on Lexapro and Strattera (ADHD) for several years, with positive results.

Outside of the indications, a lot of people may nay-say and discourage you from even trying the prescription. All I can say is this: antidepressants have helped me tremendously. At one point in my life--in my late teens-- I was a cutter (self-mutilation) and suicidal. I even ended up hospitalized for it, for the summer. I was in a bad state.

Ten years later, having gone off and on and off and on meds, I can honestly say, life was better when I had medicine. What I mean by that is, not that "the pills" made me happier--only you can make yourself happier. But they helped to balance my brain chemistry so that I didn't feel so sad and self-destructive. Let's face it, it isn't fun feeling this way. Even when I go off my meds, when I think "I'm fine", I always end up back in a dark place. It might be circumstance that causes a me to feel bad, but the medicines help to lessen the IMPACT of my negativity. I always feel better--normal--when I take the medicine I need.

For the 7 years before that, when I was growing up, I didn't know what "normal" was. I was so far gone that I didn't even realize how depressed I was until I was in the hospital. I've not been in there since then, but there have been plenty of times that I've been in that dark place, and not even realized it till I had been off my meds for about a month or so. Luckily, I wise up and get with it. I'm trying to make a conscious effort now to be a good role model for people, since I'm going to nursing school now. It's hard. But you have to dig deep.

Likewise, it may take you a while to figure out what "normal" is for you. Years maybe. Or maybe it's a temporary thing. In any case, if your doctor recognized the symptoms of depression in you, and prescribed a medication to treat it, you should at least give it the benefit of the doubt. Give it a chance, and I mean, take the ENTIRE course of medication and then talk to your doctor about how you're handling it. Also, excercise and diet help as well. It sounds cliche, but the combination of these things can help you overall.

The first step, no matter what, is the willingness to give it a chance--the therapy, the meds, the people who want to help you. I hope you can find the strength to dig deep and fight through it. We'll be your strength if you need to borrow some.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

apparently smoking pot with this stuff is a bad idea. I took one earlier today, then went out to play poker with my friends tonight. They were all passing a joint around and I hit it like twice. Now I can barely even type this post cause my head and stomache hurt so bad.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

if any med won't make you feel like a zombie.. it's wellbutrin.

most meds don't make you feel like a zombie anymore, btw.. thorazine and haldol are from a bygone era...

6. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

Wellbutrin XL