new macpro for work... how would you configure?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jackjohnson, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

This is for work... my 5 year old 1.8 ppc motherboard took a dump. I do inhouse graphic work. primarily illustrator, photoshop, indesign (in that order). the most work the comp will have to do is editing very large .psd's (500mb+ at times).

anyway I was thinking either:

2.66ghz + 8 gb of ram

2.93ghz + 3 gb of ram (maybe 6gb of ram)

I'm trying to keep it below 3k....

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

intel is releasing new xeon chips in march/april and the macpro's are due for an update...

that's how i would configure...

3. jackjohnson

4. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

6 cores/chip x 2 = 12 cores + hyperthreading = 24 virtual cores

:wackit:

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Like so:
    [​IMG]

IMO stretch for the base 8 way if you can manage - even out 2.26 boxes murder the faster quads for all the motion/video we do. And you have more flexibility in upgrading memory which is valuable. Otherwise get an i7 iMac maybe :run:

A base mac mini will crush the G5 anyway so its all just gravy from there.

6. jackjohnson

hmmm base 8 would be hot

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

:werd:
    rumor here in the office is that we have a budget to upgrade out systems in April :run:
    i sure can use the extra power with my hd video and 3d rendering :noes:

8. jackjohnson

and I would wait but I'm still using this PPC G5. it's useable but it's kernel panicking upon start up and it requires a hard restart 5-6x in a row. and then once it's "warmed up" it'll crash randomly throughout the day at the most inconvenient times :mad:

9. ady

ady New Member

The audio bug, poor pricing and lacking feature set combined with a possible update any time from next week to May (based on Apple/Intel history) make a 2009 system highly undesirable at the moment.

Sucks if you are struggling on something now, but I think it is worth being aware. I have clients still buying 2008 systems when we can source them because they offer more value and don't have certain issues.

The 2.66GHz with 8GB of memory is going to be a great solid system if you really need something now, but there is the audio bug and the issue with RAID performance and other non-unique, though more uncommon, issues with the hardware that exist. The iMac, as mentioned, might be an option if you can handle the display, but again those have issues too.

10. jackjohnson

what's the audio bug?

I guess the IS dept. is talking about just fixing the logic board on this thing. maybe I can do that and just deal with it and upgrade in the fall

11. jackjohnson

what do you think they will do with the next upgrade? will they do anything cosmetic or will it simply be a processor upgrade?

It's kind of fail that the new one I get will look exactly the same as the 6 year old one sitting on my desk right now

12. johan

johan Active Member

audio bug is this:

The latest Mac Pro models with Nehalem-based Intel Xeon processors reportedly suffer a 20 percent performance hit when playing audio in Mac OS X, users have reported.

Highlighted by Ars Technica, the issue applies to both early 2009 and late 2009 Mac Pro models. When playing audio through iTunes or a number of other applications, users have seen CPU temperatures double, while performance can take a serious hit.

Various user test have found that running Windows 7 via Boot Camp eliminates the issue, leading some to believe the issue is related to power management kernel extensions in Mac OS X.

"Further tests using benchmarks that run the CPU to full utilization show less dramatic temperature increases and, despite the high heat during audio playback, the Mac Pro's fans do not come on," the report said. "Confounding the issue even more is the fact that using audio doesn't seem to show any corresponding increase in processor load, just increases in power draw and heat."

Users have reported attempts to discuss the issue with AppleCare representatives, but have allegedly been told that the temperature range for the processor is considered "normal." Speculation on what could cause the issue from a variety of sources is available in the full article at Ars Technica.

Apple's Mac Pros with Intel Xeon processors based on the Nehalem architecture were introduced in March 2009. in December, Apple added a 3.33GHz quad-core option

Recent reports have suggested Intel's new six-core "Gulftown" processor could be headed to the Mac Pro in a future upgrade. Apple could stick with the workstation-focused Xeon line of chips, though some rumors have suggested Apple could switch to the new Core i7-980X processor, based on the same architecture

13. ady

ady New Member

Just processor and graphics card update really. Slightly faster graphics card and a 2.8GHz quad seem most likely on the base model. I wouldn't expect a case change either.

14. jackjohnson

what the hell. I'm streaming music 100% of the time :mad:

15. jackjohnson

is this as problem that will be fixed with an update?

I pretty much got the go ahead to write up a purchase order...

16. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I wouldn't count on it. This has been reported for a while, but Apple has yet to admit there's a problem.

17. jackjohnson

what a load of shit... so basically I need to order an 8 core to compensate and eventually the cpu is going to fry?

18. ady

ady New Member

The audio issue has hit multiple news sites in the past week and seems to be gaining some traction now so this may get fixed in 10.6.3. These machines are still perfectly usable in nearly all cases. The real issue is Apple's policy of denying anything is wrong.

19. johan

johan Active Member

Personally I'd wait on the purchase order, unless you'll lose the funds if you don't spend soon.

I'm looking forward to the six core i7 gulftowns.

20. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

While I hate saying this, can you not just reinstall he OS and your applications for the time being?

21. jackjohnson

on my current g5? no... it's a hardware problem. bad logic board

22. johan

johan Active Member

well, at least there's a fix for the audio now.

Apple Thursday afternoon released a fix for an issue that would significantly decrease the performance of 2009-era Mac Pros with Nehalem-based Intel Xeon processors.

The issue, well-publicized just over a week ago, caused a 20 percent performance hit when playing audio in Mac OS X. Playing audio through iTunes or a number of other applications could also cause CPU temperatures to double.

To address the problem, Apple released "Mac Pro Audio Update 1.0." The 1.64MB update, available for download from Apple, requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later.

While previous reports claimed the issue applied to Mac Pros released in both early and late 2009, Apple said Thursday's update was for desktop systems released in the first half of the year. The update reportedly reduces processor utilization during audio activities, such as playing or recording music.

Various user test found that running Windows 7 via Boot Camp eliminated the issue, leading some to believe the issue is related to power management kernel extensions in Mac OS X.

Apple's Mac Pros with Intel Xeon processors based on the Nehalem architecture were introduced in March 2009. in December, Apple added a 3.33GHz quad-core option.

Recent reports have suggested Intel's new six-core "Gulftown" processor could be headed to the Mac Pro in a future upgrade. Apple could stick with the workstation-focused Xeon line of chips, though some rumors have suggested Apple could switch to the new Core i7-980X processor, based on the same architecture.

23. jackjohnson

cool... paperwork was submitted... just waiting for the go ahead to order

24. mojito

mojito New Member

rumor

Hardmac reports that an early 2010 revision to Apple's Mac Pro may see the inclusion of Intel's forthcoming six-core "Gulftown" processor as a temporary exclusive prior to the full mass release of the processor in the second quarter of 2010.

The report's source also indicates that the Mac Pro will see the addition of 10 Gbit Ethernet connectivity and support for 8 GB and 16 GB RAM modules, pushing total RAM capacity to an astounding 128 GB.

Hardmac is unsure whether use of the Gulftown processor, to be branded Intel Core i9 and be part of Intel's Xeon 5600-series, would extend to the entry-level Mac Pro model or whether Apple will continue to use lower-level quad-core processors in those machines.

It is not unusual for Apple to receive early access to Intel's latest processor for use in the Mac Pro, with the most recent instance being the current generation, which received Nehalem processors prior to them even having been announced by Intel.

Article Link: Next-Generation Mac Pro to Receive Temporary Exclusive of Six-Core 'Gulftown' Processor?

25. johan

johan Active Member

mmmm sounds like a nice piece of kit. Looking forward to one of these Gulftowns.
    Now if they would only bring out a new LED 30" display