New Macbooks: Turning off two finger scrolling?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BwanaKuu, Dec 25, 2008.

1. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

My dad just got my mom one of the new MacBooks and I'm wondering how you turn off the double finger scrolling feature. I used to love that on my macbook but it became a total pain when it would get stuck and not let me start left-clicking. My mom doesn't like it because of this as well. I went to Trackpad in System Properties but it only shows me a video of how to do it, not a checkbox to turn it off. How can I turn it off?

2. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

It's not like that on her MacBook. It comes up with a list of all the "features" (pure annoyances imo) that you can do with the trackpad and shows a little video when you click on each feature. No checkboxes. My Black MacBook is like what is described above.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

My MacBook must appear the same way as your mom's because I see no way to turn it off... according to this article, http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/24/apples_unibody_macbook_pro_an_in_depth_review_with_video.html&page=3 there is no way to turn it off.

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

mine only ever "gets stuck" if my fingers are damp. try cleaning the trackpad? two finger scrolling in all directions is like its best feature, get apple to check it if you have warranty.

5. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

It seems to only happen in Firefox, maybe I'll just have her use Safari.

It's a neat feature, but pretty much any laptop has it now or something similar (use fingers on side of trackpad to scroll) so it's not unique to Apple.

Pisses me off that they're taking away control over a simple feature like this. Why the hell did they remove the option to turn it off? It makes no sense.

6. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

Already looked there, it's not there. :wtc: Is there some third-party app I can download to control it?

7. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

Turns out my mom's problem wasn't related to two finger scrolling. I watched over her shoulder and when it happened, realized it was just the trackpad not registering her finger movement. I increased the tracking speed of the trackpad and it seems to be fixed.