New MacBook Pro - 15" or 17"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by assclown, Jan 6, 2009.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

So I was going to pick up the 15" MBP but figured I'd wait for MacWorld 09 to see what they announce. Sure enough they announced the 17" MBP.

Some Comparisons:

After student discount, 15" is $2,299 while the 17" is $2,599, that isn't much of a factor.

15" Weight and Dimensions (HxWxD): 5.5lbs 0.95 x 14.35 x 9.82 inches
    17" Weight and Dimensions (HxWxD): 6.6lbs 0.98 x 15.47 x 10.51 inches

Again, the difference seems very minor, as the 17" is only a pound heavier, just over an inch wider and just under an inch deeper.

Specs aside, and considering only portability, is there any legitimate reason (other than price) NOT to get the 17"? Does anyone know the dimensions of the previous generation 17" MBP? Seems like it would have been a lot larger from what I remember. :dunno:

2. ///M

///M New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (bowrofl: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/574; U; en))

Isn't the 17" mbp's battery built in? Or was that just a rumor (haven't read any news on the keynote aside from no new iphone, etc)

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

It is, but 8 hour life!

4. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil OT Supporter

do you actually need the real estate of the 17"

5. ///M

///M New Member

Just read that

:eek3:

and a 1920x1200 screen :noes:

6. assclown

assclown Active Member

I'm used to 1920x1200 on my desktop, so I will definitely appreciate it. Do I NEED it on a laptop? I'm not sure. 1280x800 is too low but I might be able to work with 1440x900.

I'm just thinking that ~1" of a difference in size really isn't much, but maybe when I am actually holding both it will be a big difference. :dunno:

I won't be carrying it every day, but I will be taking it with me. Also will be using it for gigs in clubs so while 1920x1200 will definitely help with that, 17" might be too large for some booths. Again though, ~1" really won't make much of a difference, will it? :o

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

17" seems pretty big... if you have a backpack with you regularly, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I would personally go with the 15" /w external monitor for home use.

17" seems to be for people who are constantly on the road and don't have an external monitor to hook up to.

8. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

if you're using it for clubs, 13" is the way to go, at home connect to external monitor.

9. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

If you can afford it, get the 17.... load it up with the 2.93ghz and 8gigs of ram and damn thats a machine

10. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

and if its anything like the macbook air, it can be replaced with just the removal of a couple of screws if really needed.

11. assclown

assclown Active Member

Someone on macrumors made a good point. Even though the dimensions may be close, perception is everything. The MacBook Air dimensions vs MacBook dimensions would also seem to be minimal in difference, but in reality it seems much different. I'm kind of leaning toward the 15" again. :hs:

12. assclown

assclown Active Member

So I just found these and it looks huge compared to the 15" :eek3: The black border of the video on the 15" could have something to do with that though. The numbers are hard to believe, it looks like a 24" display there. It would be awesome to work on, but not so sure if it would be comfortable when lounging around or when I'm on the go. As much as I'd love to have it, I think the 15" is more viable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  13. Furq

Furq Daddy Fatsacks

I have a 17" powerbook, it's not too cumbersome but it depends. If it's on your lap while you're watching TV or something you can tell it feels large.

Using it in bed or on a desk though, it's not too bad

14. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

17 inch, matte screen. :mamoru:

15. kabloded

kabloded Guest

There is no reason to have a 17" unless you do a lot of work that requires real estate, you don't take it anywhere very often and you enjoy the general inconvenience of having such a big lap top. The 15" is perfect, hell the 13" is more perfect. You can slip it in your pocket next to your iPhone and pull it out during bus rides.

16. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

17 incher is massive...
    15 incher is just right to me

17. Furq

Furq Daddy Fatsacks

Really just depends on how much you travel

15" might be better if you plan on moving it back and forth between home/school/work.

I mostly use my laptop at home, and sometimes take it to school.

Whenever I upgrade I'm going to have to decide again which one I want (15" vs 17") but like I said 17 isn't as inconvenient as some think. The only time it's a bit unwieldy is when you actually set it on your lap (not something I want to do with the powerbook at least because of the heat anyways).

I think it's actually harder to decide between the two now, because of the large difference in screen resolution, and the large difference in battery life. One advantage of the built in battery is that you obviously don't have the latch as on the 15", which I read online can rattle and shake a bit.

For me personally, even owning a 17" have a screen res of 1440x900. I'd like to have a higher res in the future, and a 15" doesn't give you that (yet). Not an issue if you have an external monitor though. If this is going to be your only computer, and you don't plan on having an external screen then you may be better off with the 17"

18. Aww_Kittah_Aww

Aww_Kittah_Aww Active Member

I have a 17" powerbook. After having it a few years, I wish I just went with the 15". The size of it just makes it too bulky to carry around everyday.

Go with the 15" and save the money or upgrade the RAM and hard drive space.

19. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have a 15" and don't think I would ever upgrade to the 17". The 15" just seems right for taking to class, and sitting around the house. If you are taking it to clubs as well the 17" might clutter your area in the booth.

20. assclown

assclown Active Member

Update: I bought the 15" 2.53 on Friday and I'm really liking it so far. 1440x900 feels much better than 1280x800. I'll check out the new 17" when they come in. The old one didn't really feel heavy to me when I lifted it in the store. Also, it looked big but not HUGE. Unless I fall in love with the new 17", then I'll keep this one. Really liking it so far :)

21. dres2k

dres2k OT Supporter

nice, have fun!

22. JoesTypeS

JoesTypeS New Member

17" just seems so fucking huge...the 15 is fairly heavy to tote around as it is

23. assclown

assclown Active Member

So today is the last day I have to return the MBP and I'm seriously considering it :o

My friend was over for the weekend with her previous generation 17" MBP. The difference in size and weight was negligible IMO. The new 17" is a little smaller and lighter, so I think I'm going to try to return this 15" today :hs:

I really like the laptop but I'm just too used to 1920x1200 and I still feel limited at 1440x900 :( If I'm going to do this, I need to figure out if I should format it before I go. I don't want to pay the restocking fee. They waived it last time and I don't want to format it for nothing if they refuse to do so this time. If they're going to make me pay a ~$250 restocking fee, it's not worth it at that point.

24. dmora

dmora Guest

17" is a hoss...

REALLY a PITA to be portable imo. Especially on planes/trains etc.

25. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Is this your main computer? Do you plan on using it away from home a lot? If yes is the answer to both of these questions, then go for it I guess.