New MacBook owner, got some questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fox800, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Fox800

Fox800 Fear Boner OT Supporter

So I took the plunge yesterday and it's been an interesting experience. Picked up a new MacBook after using a PC all of my life. I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse due to some frustration. Can you guys please help me figure out a few things?

1. When I click the red button at the top corner to close an application, it sends it to the dock instead of terminating it outright...this is a little annoying. Any way to fix it where when I click it it just closes the program?

2. When I download some applications, they show up on my desktop (Adium, Azureus, etc.) Leopard won't let me delete them by dragging them to Trash. How do I get that icon off my desktop and just make it show up in my Applications tab under Finder? Right now it's showing Azureus as some sort of DVD/external hard drive thing. When I try to drag it to the trash, the trash bin turns to an "eject" sign. Right clicking on the Azureus desktop icon brings up stuff like "eject" and "duplicate".

3. What's a good torrent program that supports resuming downloads if you get disconnected or shut down the computer?

4. How do I set my MacBook to NOT turn off the HDD and go to sleep when I shut the lid? I want it to stay on so I can download stuff while I am away or asleep.

Thanks so much :bowdown:

2. ryckmonster

ryckmonster New Member

1.) gotta learn to live with this, this how macs work.. trick to learn is the shortcut command to close a program, cmd + Q

2.) usually when u download an app it will come as a .dmg... when open the .dmg it will mount a white disk with the app inside, always drag the app into the applications folder.. don't just open it right away... dragging into the apps folder is the way to install programs.. u can't eject/delete the disk on the desktop if u are currently running the program from within the disk...

3.) transmission.

4.) download insomniaX, http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo/

3. ryckmonster

ryckmonster New Member

oh, and welcome to the mac shack! :wavey:

4. Fox800

Thanks for the help so far. When it puts that weird freakin' icon on the desktop, is there anyway to get delete it after I drag the application to the application tab under Finder?

And is there any way to set it so when I maximize an application it takes up the full screen instead of having it zoom a little and then having to drag the window size manually?

5. ryckmonster

ryckmonster New Member

drag it to the trash...

the eject sign appears because it is technically a disk image.. just let go, it will work.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you'll learn to love using the following keyboard shortcuts:

apple+space - opens up spotlight to search for stuff
    apple+shift+C - opens up the mac hd icon, so you can search the hard drive or network
    apple+k - connect to a server, i use it to connect to my samba shares apple+w - closes a window, works great in firefox/safari
    apple+q - quits a program
    apple+` - shuffles through windows within a program
    apple+e - ejects media like dvds or usb devices

play around with f8-f11 also. leopard added some awesome functionality with f8 that allows you to have multiple desktop spaces.

also, if you have leopard, click on an icon and tap space bar, it will give you a quick preview of the data

it took me about a week to get used to the new operating system. now, i feel that i'm moving so slow with windows sometimes. keyboard shortcuts and expose make all that difference

7. Fox800

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. This will just take a while to get used ti.

8. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

9. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

I wouldn't focus on making the mac more like windows. There's a learning curve, but in the end, I think you'll appreciate it.

10. Gordio

Gordio New Member

1. Windows does this believe it or not. Next time you use windows, close firefox. Press ctrl + delete, and you'll see firefox is actually still running.

2. Unzipps always show up as temporary "ejectable" files. When you get used to it, you'll realize this makes more sense than PC. Just get used to it and you'll see what I'mtalking about. It never makes sesne why unzipping windows files creates permanent files that you'll delete anyway.

BTW if you can't eject it, there's a chance you're using a program within the folder.

3. I am super ethical...so I don't know anything about torrents

4. Eh I only own an imac desktop

11. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

id say this is the most important step for converts. do not try to manually sort all your media. the biggest mistake most converts make is making their own folders for pictures, music, etc. ilife suite will do all of that for you if you set it up properly. the software that comes on it is very useful and powerful if used correctly.

oh and my number one bit of advice to you is: FOR ALL APPLICATIONS, READ THE PREFERENCES BEFORE USING.

there is nothing worse than some whiny noob bitch that comes in the macshack crying about how macs suck and this program wont do what they want. usually its as simple as checking a box in the preferences.

12. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

This rings so true, when I switched it took me a while to get used to the computer doing the organizing for me, once I started using all of iphoto's features I loved it.