New Macbook + Kismac v. Airport extreme

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itsover954, Aug 6, 2007.

1. itsover954

itsover954 New Member

Is it possible to run Kismac using the Airport extreme card in my macbook? Or do I need an external card? Kismac has a list of cards and I'm not sure what will work:

Atheros
    Cisco Aironet
    Prism 2 / Orinoco / Hermes
    Prism GT
    USB with Prism 2 chipset

What should I be looking for on ebay to connect with my macbook?

IBnoav:07:hate

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  2. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

it'll work, it just wont let you inject packets.

3. itsover954

itsover954 New Member

How, I keep getting an error when I load it in passive. I am reading that I may have to turn off the airport before I start kismac. How do I do that. This is my first Mac of any kind.

4. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I had all manner of issues with Kismac on my C2D Macbook, so many in fact that it ended up screwing up my wireless altogether. Had to reinstall OS X to fix it. If you are going to be using it alot, i'd say to get one of their recommended know working usb dongles and just use it for Kismac

5. itsover954

itsover954 New Member

Thats what I planned, but if I can use the built in I'd like to try it. I'm not trying to war drive or anything.

6. Shinsei Ryu

Shinsei Ryu New Member

You can use built-in but I heard it wasnt too good at picking up IVs and such so it wont be the best of passive scanners. I had to compile the latest revision to get it working with my airport extreme:

https://trac.kismac.de/wiki/BuildingFromSource

With a USB adapter thats in the list you'll need to compile a usb revision. I picked up a Linksys WAUSB54G v4 off ebay that works fine with Kismac and Backtrack2 (running through vmware).

7. itsover954

itsover954 New Member

So if I use the USB adapter in the list I need to recompile the Kismac I already have? I might pick one of those up myself if thats what you would recommend.

8. Shinsei Ryu

Shinsei Ryu New Member

There are other adapters that work too. I just got really lazy and picked the first adapter I could find that was the right version and cheap.

There's a specific version of kismac that has support for USB adapters and you need to compile that one.