New Mac User questions v.helpplease

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fareo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

Sup guys,

So I bought a Mac Mini (320gb HDD model) :cool: couple months ago and I've been playing around with it. A lot of it, is pretty strait forward if you have used a PC before but I have a couple questions so far.

1. Sleep Mode: Whats the general consensus about using sleep mode? Is it better then hitting the button on the back? Is it basically the same thing? Does Sleep mode bog down the RAM? With my PC if I were to sleep it every night for a few days, the memory would start to fill up and applications would run slower? I would imagine this has the same effect on a Mac but i figured I'd ask.

Also is there a way to setup a hot key to put it into sleep mode? Like "Command / S" or something like that?

2. Maintenance: With Windows I was always using "disk clean up" and running spyware and virus programs to keep it clean. I understand Macs are less vulnerable to virus and spyware but is there anything I should be doing to keep it cleaned up? or does it do that all itself?

3. Time Machine: I tried to use my external hard drive as my backup but, because I bought the hard drive before I bought this, it needs to format it... and thats no dice. How much space on average do you need for Time Machine? could I get away with just a 8gb (or so) jump drive? how often would you recommend I use Time Machine, or is that program a joke?

any tips for a new user? :dunno:

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

1. I don't ever shut my machine down. It is always put into Sleep. No problems with memory like on Windows. No idea about shortcuts.

2. Disk cleanup is "automatic". No need for spyware, anti-virus, etc. I've been running 2-3 machines for almost 7 years now and am not careful as to which websites I go to and have no issues.

3. Time Machine works great. Just grab yourself a fresh external HD and plug it in. I have a 250gb one for a 250gb internal HD and it has been working flawlessly since I installed 10.5. An 8gb flash drive won't work very well.

3. Fareo

Fareo New Member

1. awesome, that makes life easier, as its in a spot where reaching behind it is a pain.

2. thats refreshing, stupid windows :mamoru:

3. I see, so I need a size for size back up. it doesn't just compress important files? so I should probably just get a dedicated 320 for time machine?

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

1) i've never really shut down my computer, just restart for updates, other than that, always on or close the lid on my laptop

2) i run "maintanence" about once a month to fix permissions and other things, but no need for antivirus/anti malware: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/maintenance.html

3) i don't use time machine so i can't answer

5. That-Is-Bull

That-Is-Bull New Member

You can hold Command, Option, and Eject for a couple seconds to put your Mac to sleep, and you need external storage equal to the amount of shit you want to back up (and more if you want to keep daily backups of shit) but you can tell Time Machine not to backup certain shit.

6. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

1. it's good shut your apple down every couple of weeks or so.

2. the only real trouble shooting you'll need is to run permissions repair (it's in the utilities folder > disk utility) before and after installing new software or doing a software update.

3. time machine works pretty well most of the time. when you first set it up, hardwire your mbp to the tm, it will take a while to copy everything. after that it's wireless.

7. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

For time machine you want to have enough space to cover everything that is backed up.. then the excess space is used for steppable backups. Such as, I have a 500gb hdd, it uses about 90gb for a straight back-up... but over time it will fill the rest of the hdd for daily/hourly/w'everly backups I want it to. Which is nice if you want to be able to go back 3 weeks and 2 days to get a file.

8. Fareo

Fareo New Member

ran the permissions repair, what does that exactly do?

9. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

fixes permissions on files and such...
    sometimes certain installs or prolonged use will mess up another programs permissions and things start getting funky...

10. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

this. basically, has to do with osx's unix roots and mulitple user structure.