New long tube headers for my FJ Cruiser

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Justintiime, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Doug Thorley long tube Headers! Claims are about 30 horsepower and lb/ft of torque when you have a catback and CAI installed. Plus it moves the powerband a little lower, which is perfect for me when I'm towing!

Plus they're shiny, and I like shiny.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 04blackgmc

04blackgmc New Member

lt's are always better than shortys... i like my LT's

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I am under the impression that although high-end hp may improve, it's at the expense of low-end.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It probably won't miss the low-end torque, though. It's not like it's got a weak engine to start with. Besides, almost everybody drives the damn things on the highway, where high-end power is a hell of a lot more useful than low-end torque.

5. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

you do lose a tad bit of low end tq. But, the way the usable hp/tq curve moves much much lower, plus you get more HP and TQ, it is definitely much better for towing, and even offroad. You lose power below I think it was 2,000 rpm's. Who stays in that RPM anyway when you're offroad, towing, or even crusing the highway? I know my truck is at about 2200-2300 when on the highway.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

eww. My Chevy stays around 2000rpm going 70-75mph on the highway. My tundra is a little higher on the revs, maybe 2200 for same speeds, but it's also got lower gearing than the chev.

After driving some tacomas with stock vs aftermarket setups, I would NOT go with any of the aftermarkets. I imagine the FJ is the same. Waste of money.

7. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Whatever. I installed a CAI and definitely noticed an improvement over stock. I'm not a new guy to cars, either. I can tell the difference of power, and not mistake it from the increase in noise.

Unless I misread what you mean, then I'm a jackass LOL

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I forgot how well-calibrated your butt-dyno was. excuse me.

9. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

Don't be like that. Hater.

I guess trying to reason with you would be like trying to argue with a brick wall or something. I mean, dyno graphs don't lie right?

[​IMG]

Now, that was on a bone stock FJ. Gains are noticeably larger if you have a CAI, and if the rest of the exhaust is upgraded.

Have you seen the stock air intake, compared to the TRD cold air kit? Its rediculous how restrictive the stock crap is.

10. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

good for you :) I mis-spoke, but I need the power more for towing anyway. whoops. They still work great!

Just finished putting them on. Much better pull in the midrange, which is what I wanted. Plus it sounds decent for a v6 lol

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

breath

aaaaaaaaaah

You are a fucking MORAN! Do you know how to read a graph????? The BLACK line is STOCK. The RED is with the headers.

That dyno graph shows a LOSS of HP and a LOSS of torque below 2700RPM.

That means any time your engine is running less than 2700rpm, you get BETTER power with a STOCK setup.

You fucking tool. BELOW 2700rpm is where a truck stays 99% of the time. So 99% of the time, your engine makes more power and is more efficent with STOCK setup. :mamoru:

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You *ASSUME* that's a bad thing.

TWO POINTS NEED TO BE MADE:

1) IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH IS MORE RESTRICTIVE. AS LONG AS THE ENGINE NEEDS LESS AIR THAN THE INTAKE CAN PROVIDE, IT WILL WORK.

Case in point: if the engine needs 500cfm, you will have ZERO appreciable gains going from a 600cfm to a 1000cfm intake. /story

2) IF TWO INSTAKES BOTH CAN PROVIDE SUFFICIENT AIRFLOW, THE ONE THAT PROVIDES THE COOLEST AIR CHARGE WILL PROVIDE THE MOST POWER POTENTIAL.

Case in point: if both intakes meed the cfm needs of the engine, and one provides a cool 68 degree F charge from outside the engine bay, and the other provides a hot 100 degree F charge from inside the engine bay -- the 68 degree F intake will provide more power. /story

TOYOTA SPENT A SHITLOAD OF MONEY DEVELOPING YOUR TRUCK. In that process, someone with some pretty crazy degrees and a very boring life took a look at that hunk of plastic that we know as an intake. Granted, bean counters did get their hands on it, too, but when it comes to keeping the engine SAFE (by being enclosed to reduce the likelyhood of water and debris from entering the intake) and by feeding cool air into the engine, the STOCK intake is VERY effective.

MOST after market intakes LOOK cool. And that's why they sell! HEY LOOK AT THIS!! They are DESIGNED so that fucking MORANS like you will waste your money on them! But their claimed "added cfm" doesn't mean jack shit. You ASSUME it does, but it doesn't. Bottom line: the stock intake already flows enough cfm to meet the engines needs! So at low revs, you arn't getting a benefit -- you're actually sucking up HOTTER air, which will net you a LOSS of power!!!

13. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

oooh, an e-thug that likes smileys!

14. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I don't think I've ever seen a dyno chart with such lackluster gains. Toyota must have some pretty good stock manifolds on it.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes I like smilies and I know how to read.

you on the other hand, are a moran.

16. CUCUY

CUCUY OT Supporter

don't forget to add 4.0 TRD supercharger

17. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

If by aftermarket, you mean lifted, then no fucking shit. A tacoma with a Chevy 350 in it, along with Total Chaos LT kit, and 3-link in back with bypasses and C/O's, and do try to tell me that stock is better. :mamoru:

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wtf, this is NOTHING to do with this thread. We're talking a tool, his stock suspension and stock drivetrain and a few money-taking "bolt-on" shiny parts.

not a competent motor-swap.

19. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

I consider a different engine aftermarket. :squint:

20. dew

dew Banned

cool headers bro

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Kinda off topic, but the low-RPM comment reminded me of a video I saw of a Passat 1.9TDI goofing off in the snow. Damn the exhaust sound was tasty.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32-5CNpf9Y

22. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

I wanna see pics of the FJ. Why o why put longtubes on an FJ Cruiser? Unless you plan on putting a supercharger kit on it that is a waste of money.

23. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

read the first post. I put them on for more power when im towing. Been about two weeks now and theres no leaks or signs of anything wrong.

Definitely happy with the performance of the headers!

I would look into a supercharger, but I really dont need it. Plus, the $3700 price is pretty steep.

24. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That's one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard. Towing occurs BELOW where the headers make power. In fact, towing occurs where the headers cause a LOSS of power.

That's your wallet speaking instead of your brain.