TAT New leg tattoo care?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by sphinx, Feb 14, 2006.

1. sphinx

sphinx New Member

As you can see in my other thread I just started on my new piece. I have done the black and white work and have to wait a bit to get the color worked in. Anyway, I work full time as a PC technician and must wear long khaki pants all day. I have another tattoo on my left leg that doesnt completely wrap around like this one does so it was easier to care for. Right now when I go to bed at night I apply a layer of Bacitracin and wrap my leg with saran wrap. Would it be wise to do this during the day, as to not rub the ointment off on my pants??

2. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Let your tattoo breathe

3. sphinx

sphinx New Member

i was thinking the same thing but didnt know if the pants would have an affect on it or not. Plus its kinda irritating walking around with the pants hitting it.

4. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I always kept my shoulder tattoo wrapped during the day. At night before I went to sleep, I took off my shirt and gave it room to breathe for a couple of hours, and wrapped it when I went to sleep.

5. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

When I had my tattoo done on my leg, i put a gauze on it.
    to make sure that it had air, i would open up a 4-ply gauze and put it on..just so the pants leg wouldn't irritate it..and i didn't put the gauze on tight

6. sphinx

sphinx New Member

kewl thanks sportsjunkie ill go pick some up after work :x:

7. 667

667 Guest

I only had the wrap on for a day then didnt wrap it again.

8. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Get some non-stick telfa pads like this:

[​IMG]

9. sphinx

sphinx New Member

allllrriiigghhhtt the gauze did the trick, its a hundred times more comfortable.
    thanks sportsjunkie!!!!

667: You didnt wear the gauze after the first day or the gauze and the cream?

10. sportsjunkie

glad it worked out for you ;)

11. sphinx

sphinx New Member

now im just gonna have to go buy a big roll of some more. One with 4 yards of gauze lasted me only two days. I use one length of it for one whole day, unless ya think i could keep using the same one.....i dont think so IMO......

12. sportsjunkie

i wouldn't use the same one

13. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

I wouldnt use gauze at all. There's no need to keep wrapping it up.

14. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

You don't want to keep it covered for a prolonged period of time. With my tattoo I kept it covered for three nights with saran wrap and vitamin A/D ointment. You need to make sure the tattoo is uncovered during the day so that it the skin can breathe. Apply a small amount of ointment (or whatever you were told to use) in the morning before work, and later on during the day touch it up again. Do not use too much.

After that just use a non-fragranced moisturizer several times a day, discontinue the saran wrap at night. This will moisturize your skin during the healing process.

My tattoo never scabbed and it healed up very nicely, the peeling only lasted for a day or so. Make sure your pants are not irritating the area either.

15. sphinx

sphinx New Member

I have been putting the gauze on the tattoo because my pants are touching the thing with the ointment on it. When it touches my leg its just annoying, and it gets ointment all over my pant leg. The gauze has a lot of opeinings in it, and its oh so thin so im sure its breathing alright. And I have not used the saran wrap at night for the past couple of days, ive been wrapping the gauze around it at night like during the day. So should I just not wrap anything around it at night and/or not put any bacitracin on it?

16. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

If you're getting ointment on your pants then you're using too much ointment. You shouldn't even notice it after you apply it. Make sure you're using a very small amount and rub it in to your tattoo. If it looks greasy then you've got too much on. Get a clean paper towel and DAB it off.

17. 667

667 Guest

no, just the plastic wrap for the first day, then just let it breathe and fragrance free moisturize couplde times a day

18. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

How many days has it been since you got tattooed?

Honestly I would say as long as your pant leg isn't irritating the skin around the tattoo, tough it out. I agree that you may be using too much ointment.

I would dab a little ointment on the tattoo and cover it during the day while you're at work (don't cover it for more than 10 hrs or so). Let it breathe at night. Again, it depends on when you got the tattoo. Only wrap it with saran wrap for the first few days.

Is your tattoo peeling yet? Did it ever scab

19. joy division

joy division New Member

holy shit 2 weeks till my tattoo what am i to do :run:

I only wrap stuff 2 hours after its fresh...after that I keep doing other things....never wrap it afterwards

20. marauder

marauder New Member

Nice make sure you get pictures for us when it’s healed :big grin:
    What are you getting by the way?

21. joy division

joy division New Member

MY CHEST COVERED

i'm drunk. but yeah. it will be pictures coming.

i'm kind of nervous..been a LONG time since my last appointment, going to a new artist. Said he was fairly light handed but i'm still worried about hte collar bone and sternum (especially sternum) . I basically get my first session - go straight to paris for a month, come back and get my second session the day after I'm home from france :noes:

22. sphinx

sphinx New Member

its been around 4 days since i have gotten the new tatt.

and yeah i read the post about putting too much on there and this morning i put a minimal amount on there. Right now im sitting here at my desk, with no gauze and im comfortable. Also I stopped wrapping it in saran wrap after 2 days. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm sorry but i have one last question.....about the whole sleeping arrangement. What should I do about that? Apply ointment and go to bed with no wrapping?? Sorry if i sound repetitive, ive never had a tatt this big .

23. joy division

joy division New Member

stop putting wrapping on that shit :run: sleeping sucks but its only for a week or so...

24. sphinx

sphinx New Member

ok ok ok.....so nothing at night....got it

25. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

Yeah, doesn't need to be covered at this point, ever. Use a nonfragranced lotion several times a day.. it should be peeling up right about now. Other than that you're good to go.