New LCD Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2nz, Sep 4, 2004.

1. 2nz

2nz lurker.

:rant2: My current monitor is a 19" Viewsonic CRT that I've had for 2 years now. It worked fine up until a few months ago when the screen would just fade and get really dark for hours at a time. I have to strain my eyes just to read a line of text when this happens. Does anyone know what the problem is?

So right now I'm looking around for a new monitor, an LCD that's at least 17". Anything from around 300-400 dollars.. Just something that will let me watch movies and play a couple games. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

2. Cronin

Cronin New Member

if your a gamer... just make sure it has a fast refresh rate... otherwise your gonna make your games look worse :/

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Not sure about the price in US $$, but the Samsung 172x is an awesome gaming monitor.

4. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

:werd:

This is the way to go if it's the 12ms response time one i'm thinking of.

5. 2nz

2nz lurker.

The 172x is a little bit more expensive than I'm looking to spend. :wtc:

But another question, is a DVI imporant? Would I be missing out on much if I bought a monitor that didn't have one? I'm an LCD virgin.. ;)

Someone help me~ :crying:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  6. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

DVI is a must have for games. I got the sony sdm-s74. I have played pretty much every game ever on it and they all look the same as on CRT if not better.

7. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well I had 2 Viewsonic 19" CRTs and they die on me last week. I am moving to a dual LCD setup now. I got an Viewsonic VP201 at the moment, I think it's awesome... I played farcry on it no problem, watched a few DVDs...

I do however need to bring it back and exchange for a different one. It's got a green sticky pixel in the lower center portion of the screen, that totally drives me crazy when I am watching movies...

Feels kinda like a brand new benzo with a scractch on it ya know.

Oh, and as for myself, DVI and dual input is a must.

If you are new to LCD, one thing you might want to know is the aspect ratio of the monitors. Your viewsonic CRT probably had 4:3 ratio just like mine. So, if you set the resolution to 1280x1024 on it then the picture will be streched in a sense. Since that has an aspec ratio of 5:4. Not the case with LCD.

Which bring down to the next things. most 17/18/19 LCD actually do have 5:4 aspect ratio. Which is probably not the best for watching movies.

8. rightdownupleft

rightdownupleft New Member

ask Jensen...He'll tell ya

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You can get a 23" Acer H233H for less than you want to spend. That's what I have and I like it a lot.

10. thekraft

thekraft New Member

You guys realize this thread is 6 years old, right?

11. CodeX

CodeX Guest

:rofl:

I wondered why he was talking about 300-400 for a 17" LCD.