WEB New layout for Football Bio — Opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by symptic, Dec 19, 2008.

1. symptic

symptic I run companies

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

I kinda like the old one. :hs:

3. Browning

Browning Active Member

:werd:

new one is way too plain/boring

4. c.a

c.a New Member

maybe like a picture or logo or something over the navigation?

5. symptic

symptic I run companies

What about it? :dunno:

All in all, I think the focus of the old design is lost a bit. At the time of designing it, I wanted a social network. Now I want it to be a service-based network. I've been on 4 different soccer teams the past 2 years—since the old design was made—where we depended purely on email to arrange rosters and schedules and all that jazz. One common theme is evite.com and a teammate having to step up as the gatherer of information (RSVP's, distributing maps and schedules, and collecting team fees, etc.) and the focus of the site is to be an extremely straightforward system for teams to manage themselves and for people to share and discuss news about the sport.

It's designed to require as few clicks, as little attention, and as little time as possible. That's why the navigation is large and towards the center of the page; in the user's most probable 'rest' position for their mouse, and why it feels so open.

You will be able to access any information you need with a maximum of 2 clicks, so signing in 10 seconds before you head out to the door to your game to clarify that your game is at the North-East MetroPlex at 10:50AM is what I am really striving for with this design; rather than having a huge abundance of content available like in the old design.

The news page follows the same principle, letting a user see more news and less clutter than any other site out there.

The seal I have for the business doesn't fit so well on the site itself and I think a random image would be really tacky:
    http://sicret.net/footballbio_wallpaper_small.jpg

The focus of the redesign is to turn the site into something that handles everything to be a site that is hyper-focused. You use it for news and for getting your team's affairs in order for your next game.

6. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

I have agree old > new

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Old design is better than the new one, but if the new one fits your needs and goals better than the old one, then use it.

8. symptic

symptic I run companies

I'd like to know why you guys think it's better.

I'm using the new one for the following reasons:
    • I'm changing from being a content network to being a service network.
    • Instead of maximizing content, my concern now is to maximize usability
    • My style has evolved and this is the newer application of the concepts and rules I design by
    • The other one feels too Facebooky—granted, I did so for familiarity purposes, but I think it's a bit too close.
    • The new design places a higher interest on your profile being connected to your teams rather than making lots of friends and having your emo sessions on your profile
    • The new design is more sport-focused rather than social-focused
    Both designs have their merits, and I think the second one works best for my needs. What do you guys think is better about the first? What do you like about them both? Dislike?

9. prototism

prototism Guest

Both have their qualities. The new seems to be focused on content, while the old is more aesthetically pleasing.

10. I like the new design better, but at quick glance, it doesn't look like a football site. Rather that matters or not is up to you.

11. pkr

pkr Guest

Old has social networking properties. New reminds me of an aggregated RSS feed.

12. JcprSeveN

JcprSeveN Skelaxinn

Old one looks better than the new but that one still needs to be cleaned up.

13. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

if i am going to somewhere that is called football bios, i am going there to get bios of football players, not sports news

the second one reminds me of like a shopzilla type site, where it is just links

14. symptic

symptic I run companies

How about this section of the site?
    http://www.codedpreview.com/previews/31c6332d/

This is a better insight into the type of content the site is being built for. Getting the user the data they need to show up on time to the right place for their games, as well as an outlet for the team to discuss the game. I think the original layout for the News section throws you off of the purpose and scope of the site, but this is more what it's about.

15. pkr

pkr Guest

borrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

we get it. you like the new layout. so stop asking for our advice when we tell you what works better. the truth hurts dog.

no offense but you are a good designer. you know that and i know that. but just because you are trying to take a minimalistic approach with this venture, doesn't mean it will be the best option.

if you want to keep this layout, it'll need some more pizazz. right now it is just a little bit too plain jane.

i know you can do better.

16. symptic

symptic I run companies

No offense taken. It's just as much an experiment with a new approach for this type of site than it is my wishful thinking. So far the feedback is substantially negative, but I'm posting the question on different forums and outlets—who have different outlooks as a group on design and business—and looking for input in those places.

I'll post what I find out there as well.

17. pkr

pkr Guest

:bigthumb: