New laptop and problem with sound (headphones)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChrisGST, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

I have a annoying low hum (sounds like static) when I plug my headphones in to listen to music. I can mostly here it at the lower volumes/quite parts in songs and was wondering what could cause this problem and how to fix it. The volume is not all the way up in any "option" and I do not get the hum when I have speakers pluged in. Also what would be a decent speaker set up for ~100. Thanks for any help.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Is the microphone muted in the sound properties? That may help...

Sounds like it could be some kind of interference??

Are you sure it's plugged into the right jack on the machine?

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

There is usually a line-out and a regular jack. Like cmsurfer says try other jacks. Try other headphones. Adjust master volume, lineout volume, etc. If the headphones have a volume setting then adjust those.

Adjust adjust adjust!

4. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

Tried adjusting just about everything I could find. I'm also sure that it is in the right slot because there are only two and this one has a picture of headphones next to it and I tired the other one just in case and that didn't work at all. I also tried other pairs of headphones and they all had the problem to.

5. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

If you have indeed turned off every other sound source but wave and still get problems you may be stuck with this problem. Most integrated sound cards (be they notebook or desktop) have problems with interference from the other parts of the board.

If it really really bothers you your only solution is going to be getting a small USB sound card.

6. ChrisGST

ChrisGST New Member

How much would one of those run?

7. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

not sure, i think the creative nx (i think thats the one) would be a pretty decent option, just goto google/pricewatch/pricegrabber and search for a usb sound card. You should be able to find more then enough there.