A&P New Job at ritz camera - need to know 150 cameras :eek:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ryan112ryan, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

so i got this new job at ritz camera and im pretty psyched about it, having access to all these camera to check out and the discount plus $. anyway i basically need to know all the cameras and what their pros and cons are, even the crap cameras. these are the ones they have link thats alot of cameras to be familiarized with [​IMG]

i was wondering if anyone here works at camera shops and could give me some advice about how they go about selling camera to customers, im a nikon guy, i know nikons and of course i know camera stuff (appature, ISO all that stuff...)

or what if customers ask you about a certain camera that you don't really know anything about, haven't heard anything, etc.

2. mojito

mojito New Member

i sold at frys for a year or so.

ritz has like 20 cameras, so i'd focus on those to start with. just learn the basics of each, don't sweat the little details, most don't care and those that do, already and will always know more than you about their specific item of intrest.

to most photographers kitz/ritz is on the shit list of places, as ost everything is overpriced and the salesman, well are like yourself and not the most knowledgeable.

if someone asks about something you don't know, say so, don't lie, it will always kill you. go ask someone else or look it up. most importantly, learn from it, talking with customers is the best way of learning.

3. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

i deffinatly agree that its not a place that pros go, i have never bought my cameras at a store, just online after i have researched and gotten on forums for a month or two, but im buying prosumer / pro cameras and there aren't too many out there, unlike point and shoots that there are a million of, i know good cameras i guess i should say, but im not going to be selling many of them

4. mojito

mojito New Member

what instore kits has the full line of P&S. if i see 10 I'd be surprised. My store had 106 differnt p&S and 60 camcorders we had to know.

5. CRC

CRC New Member

more megapixels = more better

thats all you need to know when selling to customers

6. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Learn about the top of the line camera. That one would have all the features. Then it would be easier to sell the cheaper cameras since they have less features/functions.

Just curious...what is the emplyee discount at camera shops?

7. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

:rofl:

8. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

and whats the pay like?

9. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

i don't know my discount yet prob 20-30%
    considering ive never done sales before they are giving me $7 an hour + there is incentives on 60% stuff in the store some as high as $30 but the better the quality of the stuff, the less incentive because they know they have a good product (cannon and nikon will give you like 3 bucks on point and shoots)

but i would rather sell a good product than sell ppl shitty cams

$7 isn't much but its just part time during college summer break and i have a paid research grant so money isn't a big deal for right now :wiggle:

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

1. always suggest a bigger memory card...im sick of people going on vacation expecting to get all of their memories stored on the stock 32mb card

2. Sell the extended protection plan. this is what got me to buy from ritz instead of online. I like the fact that if I don't want my camera anymore, I can just drop kick the crap out of it and they either have to fix it or replace it no questions asked.

3. Learn about the mid-level cameras as you'll sell more of those. Never suggest the cheapest camera you have...always attempt to upsell.

4. Im a nikon guy myself but there are plenty of people that prefer Canon and usually end up getting the XT or 20d. Without letting too much bias get into their buying decision, explain the features of both cameras (if comparing the d70 and XT) and let them hold and shoot both. Let them decide which one feels better. This is what sold me on my Nikon, along with other things. 300d felt cheap and had a slower startup.

5. For DSLR buyers, make sure they get a bag. For Ritz's sake, suggest filters. For the buyer's sake, tell them to get better filters somewhere else.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

7+ commission was what I got, and on a good day that was more like 22-25/hr

your discount won't be that big. its ususally like cost + 10%, and cost on most items is like 10-15, maybe 20% below retail. Accessories are where the markup is.

12. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

i sold some cameras at costco before ( i dont know dick ) but i always got people who were pissed that the camera came with such a small memory card. I'd just turn it around nicely and say "cmon, when you buy a conventional film based camera, they don't give you free film" then they think bout it for a sec, then ask where to buy a larger capacity memory card. bleh it was fun, but i didn't know shit hahahah

13. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

I half-agree here.. got a great deal last week on a Sony P200 with a free HP Photoprinter and a $30 off next purchase coupon but the only things on their site that cost less than 30 bucks are AA batteries :greddy:.

14. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

Make sure and introduce yourself, LISTEN to the customer about everything, and occasionally provide input. Don't bother telling them anything about yourself unless they ask. If you listen to them, they'll be attracted to you, and they're quite likely to ask for you next time you come.

Always be patient and honest. A lot of people have never owned a digital camera before, and don't even realize you have to focus them. After they pay, offer to set the camera up for them.

Without a doubt, you should make the customer feel welcome and appreciated. If you're allowed to discount products, give them $20 off their memory card, or throw in a UV filter.

It's always nice to find out what kind of pictures people take. I have a customer, a very large biker, who loves macro photography of bugs... By knowing that, I can reccomend better products for him.

Whenever you hand something to a customer or show something to a customer, treat it like a valuable peice of art, precious. Simple things like that will help the customer feel more comfortable.

Learn how to work the camera basics backwards, so you can show them the screen and which buttons to press to delete a photo, or which modes.

Just some random thoughts, but I gotta go. The most important thing you can do is make a customer feel welcome, and neverevereverever judge a customer by their appearance.

15. XPX

XPX New Member

this is actually the best advice in this thread :cool:

16. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

I know. :cool: I'm damn good. :hsugh: