New iPod Photo released

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I'm suprised this wasn't posted already. I don't really get into the iPod since I have no use for one, but here is the DL for anyone interested:

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/

[​IMG]

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

3. Brian

Brian New Member

they should just make all ipods color w/ photo

those 40 and 60 are thick as fuck i would never buy it

i like the sexy u2 special edition ipod

even though im not a u2 fan

4. niteshdaga

niteshdaga New Member

There is one thing i dont get though...why dont they have an iPod aimed at like the 100 dollar range. If they added that then they could almost own the whole MP3 player market. I mean they could be so much bigger.

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Nothing from Apple is affordable.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yeah, a normal-sized ipod with say a 6-10gb hdd in it for around $100-150 would be tits.

But that's been mac's problem all-along... they don't see that with mass-production comes cheaper prices and more sales. They just look at 1 unit and say we make less on one... but if you sell more, you can do much better and expand your market share.

To be honest, I'd purchase a copy of OSX if it ran on the x86 platform... Apple should just write their software for the better platform (and I consider cost in that equation, which means x86 wins) then sell the OS to the masses. They can still create their "cute" boxes using PC hardware.... nothing dictates that their designs have to use the "power" chips.

But this continues to show that mac doesn't want to play fair in the market.... They've found a corner and they're comfortable there. They say they care about market share, but they do not... They like being the underdog. Better software or worse software it doesn't matter -- they're not the "bad" guys.

If they released the OS for the x86 platform we'd just have another "Penguin Man" who hates it because it costs money. "yeah, linux forever, MS sucks because it's MS, here's how you build a system, even tho I've only done one", etc etc. The hypocracy of the world we live in.

Back away from my rant now.... I think Apple has great ideas, but their implementation is always SOOOO far off. Let's go through the history:

1) They create good systems.
    2) They license out to 3rd party sources which creates problems with compatibility. Instead of developing better software and drivers, they bring everything back in-house and control the entire product -- hardware and software -- start to finish.
    3) Due to the extremely expensive proposition of being proprietary, along with the R&D expenses for astetics, materials, processors, chipsets, software, and testing prices must be marked high above fair market value.
    4) Cost is passed onto the consumer so that Apple can continue business.
    5) A majority of the would-be customers that would *LOVE* to use the Apple interface now cannot afford the product.
    6) Apple is relegated to a niche of people with no knowledge of the workings of a computer, and entirely too much money to burn on a single PC.

In an ideal world, Apple should let Intel/AMD do their thing, and piggyback on the x86 platform. Heck, both Intel and AMD have 64-bit and dual-cpu architectures (and AMD even had both BEFORE Apple, although Apple won't readily admit that) so there's plenty of room for Apple to continue their high standards of quality control on a platform that is more readily available, and less expensive. Couple this with the ability to run x86-compiled linux binaries (or to easily compile sources) and you've quadrupled your software-base overnight.

I already pay $145 per system for Microsoft Windows XP Professional. If Apple would release OSX for my hardware I could easily see myself paying the same for their product.

And hasn't Apple already developed this, at least in a smoke-screen fashion? I know they threaten it every time motorolla/ibm gets funny with the new power-chip development and they threaten to move to something else (x86).... Grow some bawls, Apple, and make the move, already.

7. dthumper

dthumper Guest

they're pacing themselves. if you offer the goodies at all levels you end up canabilizing your sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they're next move was to make ipod photo minis.

8. niteshdaga

niteshdaga New Member

Okay i agree that they would probably make the iPod photo minis...but the question is not whether they will make it or not but if it is affordable or maybe thats just me.

9. dthumper

dthumper Guest

i'd love to see the U2 version ipod get photo capabilities too

10. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

You've got it all backwards. Imagine if OSX was released for the x86...you'd have to deal with ALL the hardware out there, drivers, compability, etc. Keeping it in house means less problems for Apple...

As for mass production, look at iPod's market share...they're selling, and at whatever price Apple set them as. They're in the business to make money, and it looks like they're succeeding.