New imac, can I use the osx on my old G4 PB?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 505, Dec 12, 2006.

1. 505

505 New Member

Just wondering if I can put 10.4 onto the other machines here at my house (without screwing anything up, or getting into any trouble with apple). I can't seem to find anywhere that has this info... can someone help me out?

2. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

you can try to boot from your iMac install DVD, but last time I tried it didn't work on any other machine :o

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well i know for a fact that you won't be able to use the restore disks that came with your imac to do that

i'm not totally sure, but i could imagine if you had a retail copy, it should work

taken from apple.com:
    "
    Requirements

• Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
    • Built-in FireWire
    • DVD drive for installation
    • 256MB of RAM
    • 3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)
    • Processor upgrade cards are not supported. View a list of compatible hardware.
    • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
    • Video conferencing with iChat requires a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera and broadband Internet access. One-to-one video conferencing requires a G5, G4 or 600MHz or faster G3 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access. Initiating a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor and 384-Kbps or faster broadband access. Participating in a multiway video conference and initiating a six-person multiway audio conference both require a G5, 1GHz G4 or dual 800MHz or faster G4 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access.
    • .Mac sync requires a .Mac account; fees apply."

4. 505

505 New Member

K thanks guys, appreciate it.