New hotness in webhosting?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by $lacker, Sep 5, 2007.

1. $lacker

$lacker FD/Dental/Canadian/Cage Crews OT Supporter

My father is retired now and is looking at starting up some sort of company (he's not so vague about it, but I don't know all the details). Given that this is not 1995, he wants to have a website for it, and he wants his website to be capable of accepting credit card payments (so he'll need an ssl cert?). What/where would you guys recommend? I wouldn't expect a large amount of traffic, but more bandwidth is obviously a plus, as is low-cost.
    Thanks guys

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Whatever you do, search www.webhostingtalk.com before you spend a cent. If the company has any kind of reputation you will find information good or bad on that forum.

You may need an SSL cert, you may not. If you go with something like Paypal, or 2checkout then you do not, if you have an actual merchant account and process the cards on your website, then you absolutely will.

I personally have a reseller account through www.myriadnetwork.com and they have been great so far, they are not as cheap as other hosts though. Don't forget the old saying "you get what you pay for" it is true a lot of the time in hosting, not always though.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby