New Home Audio system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by paul9luap, Aug 6, 2004.

1. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

Well, since I work at Circuit City, I decided I should take advantage of the accommodations discount through Harman Kardon and the employee discount through Polk Audio. My old system consisted of an HK AVR 125 receiver, Bose 301 Series IV main speakers, Bose center, Polk 10" sub, and Infinity surrounds.

I sold the Bose 301's, HK AVR125 and Infinity surrounds to a friend, and replaced them with a HK AVR430 and Polk Audio Monitor 70's. I got the Polk Monitor 70's first, before I sold the AVR 125, and honostly, they were underpowered by the AVR125. Even though it was 45w a channel high current receiver, they were still distorting at mid to high volumes. The AVR430's 65w a channel in surround mode solves that problem perfectly. In stereo, it's 80w a channel.

So, my new set up is a HK AVR 430, Polk Monitor 70's, Bose center speaker, Polk 10" sub, and no surrounds. I'm waiting for the Polk Monitor 40's to go onto accomodations in September. As a circuit city employee, we get 65% off of retail for Polk. :eek3: I'm willing to wait a month.

Next thing on my home entertainment list, a new TV. I'm currently looking at the 30" widescreen Sony HDTV.

So, here's a few pics of the old vs. new.

old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some may ask, why didn't I get the RTI10's instead of the Monitor 70's. For the type of music I listen to, the RTI10's just didn't have the midrange I wanted. Technically, they have a better frequency responce, down to 20Hz, while the monitor 70's go down to 30Hz. I liked the "punch" of the monitors better than the RTI's. I guess it's just a personal preference.

After a few hours of shaking the apartment, :bowdown: to DTS Neo6. I like it better than Logic7 or Dolby Prologic II.

I'm drunk. :o

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  2. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

cool :bigthumb:

I'm just surprised that flimsy rack can hold that tv (and 45lb receiver for that matter) :p

3. ATlasIAm

ATlasIAm peace will never exist in the world...but it's a n

4. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

the 301's were birthday presents from my parents about 6 years ago.