MMA new HERO's weight classes, etc.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Thursday, August 09, 2007 - Editorial by Al Yu - MMAWeekly.com
    [​IMG]

…brilliant.

bril·liant

1. shining brightly; sparkling; glittering; lustrous: the brilliant lights of the city.
    2. distinguished; illustrious
    3. having or showing great intelligence, talent, quality, etc.: a brilliant technician.
    4. strong and clear in tone; vivid; bright

After a feeble attempt to invade the U.S. market, FEG turned their focus back to Japan. K-1 Hero’s Sadaharu Tanigawa recently announced the organization’s intent to add a 145-pound (65kg) weight class next year.

The addition of a featherweight division is a brilliant move on their part and I feel it’s been needed for quite some time. The WEC has been bringing the 145-pounders to the forefront in the U.S. and even attracted former Hero’s fighter Rani Yahya to sign with them. The extra weight class will open the doors to many new fighters and allow existing ones to compete at their natural weight.

Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto can finally fight at a weight class without giving up size to his opponents. Other fighters such as Hideo Tokoro, Alexandre Franca “Pequeno” Nogueira, Kazuyuki Miyata, Hiroyuki Takaya, Ivan Menjivar and Shuichiro Katsumura will also benefit from the lower weight division. I personally would love to see Remigijus Morkevicius return to Hero’s as a featherweight.

The Shooto 145-pound weight class is very competitive and is home to many of the top featherweight fighters in the world. For the longest time, featherweight fighters in Japan did not receive the exposure that the heavier weight classes enjoyed due to the lack of a 145-pound division in the two biggest organizations, Pride and Hero’s.

With Pride left in hiatus, K-1 Hero’s will have the ability to attract many of the top featherweight fighters. The prospect of seeing Antonio Carvalho, “Lion” Takeshi Inoue, Tenkei Fujimiya, and Akitoshi Tamura fighting on the big stage is very exciting. Hatsu Hioki and Akiyo “Wicky” Nishiura would also be well received.

In addition to the new weight class, Tanigawa revealed his plans to increase the 154-pound (70kg) weight class limit to 160-pounds (73kg). Although this may be a questionable decision, I can see this change appealing to many former Pride fighters and current Hero’s fighters who may have trouble making weight.

**cough** Gomi **cough**

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm still waiting on a 195bs Cruiser weight and then move LHW to 210.

3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

:bowdown:

i know plenty of people who would love to fight at a 145lbs weight division....

their metabolism > their life

4. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:werd:

even up to 215

however, i dont know who we'd see there besides brandon vera???

not sure if crocop could get much below 220.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

for weigh-ins, i'm sure he could

fedor too, possibly, seeing how he's ~220lbs at certain points of his training. sergei too

6. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

no plans for a 235 or 240+ division?

7. sergei is close to 250 now...

also, I have no idea how that guy thinks Miyata is going to make 145

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

sergei's really 250 now? he on the humungus diet or something?

miyata wrestles at like 160-something, doesn't he? but he's fought at 145 before

9. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yeah, i guess i shouldn't rely on the fighter's weights on that thing anymore. Hunt's still listed at 250 i think :o