New here... saying hi

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Antigeek, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Please allow me to introduce myself...

I'm a 33 year old guy from the New Orleans area. Currently about 5'3" (short mofo), 135 lbs, guesstimate around 10-12% bodyfat.

About 6 years ago, I started weightlifting and returned to martial arts training. Trained fairly consistently for about a year, took off a year while I went back to school, then started training again for about a year and a half. In that time I went from 115 lbs and 15% bf to about 125 at 8%. I was primarily following the Body For Life nutrition and workout plan, but with more real food and less MRP's.

3 years ago, my fiance' (now wife) and I moved about an hour north of New Orleans and cancelled our gym membership. When we bought the new house, I also bought a pretty decent home gym set up (cage, 300 lbs. olympic weights, treadmill, dumbells, etc.), but slowly, the motivation to workout left as life got in the way (wedding planning, dealing with the commute, new hobbies, etc.).

A couple months ago I started getting aggravated with the fact that my abs were gone, my strength was slowly going away, and my cardio capacity was a fraction of what it once was. And on top of that, she's picked up a spare pound or 30. So we've decided it's time to make use of the equipment taking up our garage.

Last week, I ordered "The Body Sculpting Bible For Men" and the corresponding version for women. I've tossed out all the junk food that was littering my pantry. We stocked up on healthy food, started packing food for throughout the day, and started working out again.

It's somewhat humiliating to be back at almost square one again, but at the same time it feels good to be sore from a good workout. I just wish I hadn't lost the strength I had 3 years ago.

Her goal short term is to get back to a size 6 (she's a 10 now) and get her stomach flat. Long term is get lean/toned/no cellulite/bikini ready for next summer.

My goals are get to about 150, but get my bodyfat back below 8%. I miss the definition I had in my arms/shoulders/back, but I never had the mass I wanted. I'm not trying to be swole, or broly, or look like a bodybuilder. I just want to be able to go shirtless and not look like the pasty white IT geek that I am. :hsd:

Since the demise of the fitness board I was on way back when, I haven't found a decent board to read/post questions to, but F&N looks like a decent place to pick up some pointers.

I'll go back into lurking now, but I'll be reading. Thanks for what I've managed to pick up so far.

2. pt

pt New Member

Congrats on your decision to get back into shape :coold:

3. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

Good luck man. You'll find a lot of usefull information here and a lot of people talking shit. It's generally in good fun so don't take it the wrong way.

I wouldn't go into it with the idea that being below 8% bodyfat is required to see definition. A lot of members on this board look really lean with 10%+.

Let people know what your routine is and maybe they can offer pointers on weaknesses. Good luck :bigthumb:

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

As of right now, my routine is "weightlifting for pussies".

Basically, it's a modified superset, with a rest period between each exercise, using light weight and high reps (15) designed to get your body used to lifting. 2 sets for each exercise. 2 days a week you work back/chest/bis/tris, 2 days you work quads/hamstrings/calves/shoulders, and 2 days you work abs and do cardio.

After 6 weeks, it goes to 3 sets with moderate reps (12) at heavier weight.
    At 10 weeks, it goes to 4 sets with slightly lower weights (8-10) at heavier weight.

After 14 weeks, you should theoretically be in good enough shape to start the periodization plan, which I've glanced at, but not read in depth yet. Still 4 days lifting, 2 days abs and cardio.

The nutrition side of it is pretty solid. Basically, 5-6 meals a day, 40/40/20 split between protein/carbs/good fats, and use of caloric cycling. (2 weeks at 2000 calories, 2 weeks at 2500 or 2500 and 3000 if bulking) They advocate easing into the nutrition program over a 6 week period, phasing out bad fats the first two weeks, refined sugars the second two, and going completely clean the last 2, just to get you psychologically used to not eating garbage. My diet wasn't too bad to begin with, so I'm just having to get acclimated to eating several times a day, and staying away from fast food for lunch.

This evening I'll post a better breakdown of tonight's workout.

5. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Really looks like you're serious about this, congratulations. It's nice to see someone with a real plan going at it. Have you read the "wanna get toned?" sticky yet? Read through the archives as well for information.

Also, go get yourself tested for low testosterone and reeeeeeeead :p You're getting to be around the age where steroids could greatly benefit you.

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

No juicing here man. :x:

7. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I'd say look into it and get it checked anyways, there are a whole range of benefits that can come from testosterone therapy. Juicing != normal test levels.

Edit: You're going at it the right way, just thought I'd give you something to think about :dunno:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  8. pt

pt New Member

:rofl: 5th post... typical OT F & N

9. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

:gtfo: We are only accepting applications from females ATM.

j/k good luck with the overhaul.

10. Julu

Julu Member

Keep us updated. I mostly lurk around, but I've gotten a lot of great information from this site!!!! I hope all goes well for you. Make sure to do before and after pics!

Ju

11. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

Awesome... you should make a training log and post some pics. That way you'll be more motivated to succeed since so many people will be keeping track of your progress. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and posting one of my own.

Welcome to the board :cool:

12. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

You first.

13. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.