A&P new guy to OTAP

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Darren, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Darren

Darren DSLR/Photography/Mac Crew

Hey everyone, I've browsed through this forum for a while but never really posted, but now I'm trying to go forward with my photography so I'm going to try to be a more active participant in OTAP. There are a bunch of great photographers here and I know I can learn a lot.

As of right now, my gear is really simple. Just a D50, DX 18-55 kit lens, and a 50mm 1.8. I'm not the greatest nor is my PP, but I'm always getting better. New equipment is in the near future though so I'm really looking forward to that.

Here are a couple shots, all have practically no PP besides a bit of brightness/contrast tweaking. I really don't know what to shoot since I'm just starting out so my subjects are kinda random. Don't be too rough on the new guy haha.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and hopefully I'll learn a lot from everyone. Thanks.

These are from a local Special Olympics event my fraternity helps out with. Wasn't planning on being the photog but the guy they hired didn't show and they saw my DSLR and thought I would be decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pardon the quality, just facebook links for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. johan

johan Active Member

welcome :wavey:

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Nothing really to pick on, they just aren't the most interesting pictures I've ever seen.

6 seems a bit soft, probably becasue it was shot wide open. besides that, you're off to a good start, just practice and keep posting!

4. Darren

Thanks!
    Yeah, like I said, not really sure what to shoot so things are random. Once I finish up school for the semester I plan on getting more focused. CC is always welcomed so I appreciate the input. :wavey:

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

One more thing, in shots like #4, make sure everyone is looking at you. It's kind of useless if they are all looking all over. I imagine a few people are talking pics in a situation like this. What I do is I wait until the end, then say "OKAY, LOOK THIS WAY" and you'll get everyone looking at you and you aren't the jerk who does it right at the beginning. Also, one lady is hidden behind someone else, just ask her to slide over. People don't mind being directed, just be confident and speak up, the more you act like you know what you're doing, the better. No one likes a timid photographer who can't give instructions. :bigok:

Just speak up and tell them what you want, if it turns out bad, oh well, you learn next time...

6. Darren

Oh gosh, you're telling me. That was the worst. No one would listen to me because goddamn Ronald McDonald was there too and he was doing his stupid clown thing and distracting everyone. Ironically, they wanted to go fast fast fast so I just took the shot and they said "ok that's good, thanks." Whatever works!

But, yes, all good advice. Thanks. :)

7. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

welcome and your off to a better start than i was :o a couple of suggestions i had were covered by xenon. on 6, it looks like you were focusing on her left tit not her eyes. and while i love tits, when taking a portrait like that, always focus on the eyes.

8. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Welcome :wavey:

Leave your vagina at the door.

9. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

We have sand!

10. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

welcome. Please don't take critiques to heart... they tend to be pretty blunt in here.

11. Daq

Daq New Member

Welcome :wavey:

12. Darren

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320) (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Thanks for the welcome/suggestions, everyone. :)

13. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

:roflw:

sandproof vagina covers are a must around here. :mamoru: