GUN New Gun Owner

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cudachris, Oct 10, 2006.

1. cudachris

cudachris New Member

What pistol/revolver would you suggest for a new owner.....have gone shooting a few times b4. Would be mostly for home security and target practice. Maybe something for beginer-moderate skill level. Also where would you suggest to get training in cleaning/disasembly. Have no friends/family with gun expierience.

2. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

a nice S&W revolver for home defense

..............something in a 9mm for the range.

3. cudachris

cudachris New Member

played with a .38 S&W ....want something alittle more fun...and would love something with some more power

4. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

You can get enough cleaning tips from the manual and the internet.

5. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

My buddy has a SW that can take a .38 and .357mag. There you go. Cheap to shoot the .38....and you have the power behind the .357mag.

6. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

revolver in .357 magnum would be a decent choice for handgun... simple to operate and easy to clean, if there's a missfire in an emergency situation just pull the trigger once more...

.357mag has good power and lots of defensive ammo available, plus you can shoot .38special for practice since its cheaper.

my .02

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Take a NRA class locally at the range or something to get the basics of shooting, cleaning, and safety down.

Go to a range that rents guns and rent several 9mm handguns. Buy the one that you like to shoot with the most and shoot the best with. You can go out and buy a beast .500 s&w revolver for more power but if you can't hit anything with it, it doesn't matter how powerful it is. 9mm is a quite capable man stopper and is the 2nd cheapest ammo behind .22lr. Cheaper = more practice = you hit what you want.

When you get better at shooting you can buy a more powerful toy to go along with it.

8. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I think Ruger has a Blackhawk convertible that shoots .357 and 9mm, only drawback for what you want out of it may be that its single action. Other than that it looks great and so far I haven't heard any horror stories about it.

9. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Smith & Wesson 686 or Ruger GP100

10. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

CZ-75B in 9mm
    XD 9mm
    Glock 17/19/26
    Sig 226/229/SP2009/SP2022 9mm
    H&K USP 9mm

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

revolvers are just plain easier to operate, maintain, shoot, etc. a nice DA revolver is very reliable.

drawbacks: capacity.

And I personally find a semi auto pistol more fun to shoot.. this could be due to the capacity.. but then again, I find my 8 shot makarov also very fun to shoot.

so, as far as revolvers.. S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Charter, all make good revolvers. I'd recommend a 357, as you can shoot 38 spl out of it as well for lower recoil target practice.

As far as semi-autos. First, decide what type of action you want. Single Action. Double Action. DA/SA. or "Safe Action" (Glock, XD, etc)

here are some good links explaining the differences amongst the different actions available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(mechanism))
    http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IVB.html

for carry, I prefer either DA/SA or Safe Action.

Caliber, I'd recommend 9mm. Cheap ammo, plenty of good defensive rounds available, and a 9mm pistol typically has a higher ammo capacity than a 45.

but any of the big 3 would suit you fine.. 9, 40, 45. then you have the 357 sig, 9x18, 380, etc, which are a little more rare. But I'd stay with the big 3.
    Obviously, the 40 and 45 ammo will cost more, and will have more recoil which can cause a flinch in a relative beginner.

As far as brands.. people will argue all day over what is good. Do you have a budget? Plenty of great guns available for between $300-$700.

Glock, Springfield XD, Ruger, S&W, Heckler & Koch, Sig, Beretta, CZ, Steyr, Walther.

I personally prefer a polymer framed gun, especially for carry. Much lighter than steel. My fully loaded, 18 round capacity Glock 34 9mm weighs as much as my fully loaded 8 round Makarov.. which is about half the size, with smaller ammo.

Many will recommend a 1911. I dont like them, but they must be worth a look if they are so popular.

oh.. I just realized you said home defense/target practice, and not carry. Oh well.

Either way.. go to your local gun shops.. ask around as to what training classes are available for beginners. Learn the safety rules. Learn the proper operation and maintenance of a pistol. Rent, shoot, and handle plenty of guns, and get what feels right to you.

If all else fails, buy a Glock. They're the best. (had to throw that in there :embd: )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2006
  12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

[​IMG]
    I'd love one of these. 8 shot .357 with full moon clips.

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

15. Gimik

Gimik New Member

this is truth. That was my first handgun - P89.

16. Peqkx

Peqkx Active Member

i recently got a sig sauer mosquito. i love it for plinking.

its shape and mechanisms mimic "real" guns so it's good to learn from

i learned basic handgun safety and field stripping/cleaning from the gun as well as getting my aiming better (used to anticipate recoil and limpwrist...getting better at it though)

the sig also has a manual safety, decocker and external hammer (which i wanted as my first gun since it's more "traditional" than a glock that has an internal firing pin.

the only downside is that they're expensive

here is a pic:

[​IMG]

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From what I hear the mosquitos have some issues with some ammo like the earlier p22's had.

18. Peqkx

Peqkx Active Member

my mosquito has had no jams in like 800+ rounds using minimags. it had trouble with standard velocity stuff though.

soon i will try standard stuff again, the gun was brand new so the springs might have been tight....might be worn in now.