GUN new gun owner here (bought a 10/22)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ices, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ices

ices New Member

Today, while flipping through the paper, I saw the ruger 10/22 carbine on sale at dicks, along with a brick of thunderbolts for 7 bucks. I've heard many goods things about the 10/22 on this forum, and it was recommended by the sales guy. I walked out with the gun, a gun case, a cleaning kit, and a brick of 500 thunderbolts for about 170.

I'm 19 and i've never shot a "real" gun. I've owned and shot many airguns as a child, and i've always wanted a real firearm. However, at the time, 18 seemed so far away, and I turned to other, more accessible hobbies.

So, now, I'm in a general state of feeling "good". I'm glad that i ever picked up an airgun, because I feel that it made somewhat of a foundation for me, ie. safety rules, how to aim w/iron sights). I feel that I've exercised my rights, and that I also fulfilled a childhood desire.

Unfortunately, I have not fired it yet, because I had to come back to campus. I will, in a couple weeks when I go back home, and after I've read and re-read the owners manual. Until then, anything that you can tell me about my gun, guns, or just shooting in general is greatly appreciated.

ps. I've heard that the thunderbolt jams easily in the 10/22, and in many other semi-auto rifles. Is this true? They sure were a bargain for plinking, and I'd hate to damage my new toy.

2. yeah I just made a post two days ago about that sale, I'm going to pick up a 10/22 myself tomorrow :coold:

3. go to www.cheaperthandirt.com , get yourself an extended mag release, and a 25 round butler creek steel lipped magazine. Your 10/22 will thank you.

4. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

very cool. I love semi auto .22's. Get a 25rd clip if you can find one. I want to get a 10/22.

5. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i have a 10/22 myself and love it! check out http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/ if you have any questions or anything. i wanna get another one so i can mod it. i don't want to mess with the one i have cause it used to be my mom's.

6. thanks for the link mrbill!

also check out www.rugerforum.com

7. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

2nd on the rimfirecentral.com forums. Great place.

Which 10/22 did you purchase? I have a lightly modded stainless carbine and it loves CCI MiniMags. For cheaper ammo that works almost as well, try DynaPoints. Both are easy to find.

8. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i run the remington thunderbolt through my walther P22. no issues w/ jamming here.

9. ices

ices New Member

boo, cheaperthandirt won't ship the magazines to maryland. Oh well, maybe i'll get another magazine when i get to shooting more often. I got the standard carbine, blued, it's not anything special.

I had a couple questions...
    -When I pull the bolt back, do I release it and let it slam forwards, or should I "let" it back to it's original position?
    -Will dry-firing damage the gun?
    -How do I adjust the sights? Do I benchrest shoot it at a certain range, and then adjust it accordingly? Is there supposed to be a certain type of setting for shooting at a certain range, or is it all dependent on the specific gun?

Well, that's all that I can think of for now! I'm sure that I'll have more later. I'm getting anxious because I won't be home for a couple of weeks. Thanks!

10. let it slam forward.. think of when the action cycles on its own, after you fire a shot.. its going to go forward pretty fast.. often if I ease a bolt forward, shit gets caught up.

Not sure about your other questions

11. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

I am not 100% sure, but I am sure about Ruger's 22/45. Dry firing is not recommended for a rimfire pistol. (or rimfire rifle in this case)

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Don't dry fire a rimfire, it can warp the chamber.

13. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

$170 is a smokin deal

14. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Congratulations on your first gun purchase, and on picking up possibly the finest mass-produced, non-match .22 rifle ever made. :cool:

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Warp the firing pin. If you're going to dryfire, make sure there is a spent casing in the chamber, otherwise the pin impacts on the chamber wall.

Yes, sight adjustment has a lot to do with range, but with a rimfire 22, it probably can just be set for 50-100 yards and let it go.

Let the bolt slam home, like everyone said. It's made to contain chamber pressures with a hell of a lot more force than that.

16. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Guess I should have said peens instead of warps :hsugh:

17. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Either way, you knew not to dryfire a rimfire, that's important.

Everyone should start with a .22.. they're not only fun and user friendly, they're cheap to shoot :cool:

18. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Damn straight. Brick of 525 rds for $10 at Big5.

19. ices

ices New Member

Hello, I'm back for some more questions :hs: Thanks a lot so far for all the responses. I checked out rimfirecentral.com and learned a lot. First of all, I was pointed to the site cabela.com, because they offer magazines that can be shipped to Maryland. They only have one brand, ram-line, and it is offered in the 25 ($19.99), 30 ($21.99), and 50 ($27.99) round capacities. Has anyone had experience? Which size do you think is the best? 50 rounds seems like obviously the most convenient, but I'm not sure if it's overkill, and whether or not the magazine would look silly and ruin the lines of the rifle too badly.

Also, is there a way to check whether the magazine and chamber are empty? I'm assuming that the last shot of the mag would produce the same blowback to eject itself from the chamber, while also simultaneously cocking the hammer (i really hope i'm using the right vocabulary here), causing for me to dry-fire when all the rounds run out.

ALSO, the guy who sold me the gun said that he usually shoots on farmland. I didn't ask him to elaborate, though I wish that I had. The ranges around me, I would imagine, would get pricey after a while. What alternatives to ranges do you guys have? Do you have a large backyard, or know someone with one? I live right between Baltimore and DC.

ok, one more, and I'm done (for now). I'm going back to dick's or walmart to buy some eye and hearing protection. What kind should I get? I know that the noise of a .22 isn't that harsh, but I'm not sure about the other guns in the range. Would some foam ear plugs suffice? Or should I get muffs that cover the whole ear?

like always, thanks to anyone who responds!

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Practice counting your shots, I think it is a good habit to have. I don't know about the gun to tell you anymore then that though, sorry.

Foam ones should be fine for just shooting the .22 I shoot my .22 with no earplugs at all and it doesn't bother me. I don't know what other people would be shooting at the ranges so in my opinion, if you plan on going to the range frequently you may as well get the heavy duty ones (if they arn't too expensive.) Better to have more than enough then not enough.

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Welcome to the addiction. Rimfirecentral has an endless ammount of info on what to do to make it better. At the very least I'd reccomend an after market hammer to reduce the trigger pull. There is an entire aftermarket following for the 10/22, so you can feel free to transform your new "beast" into anything you want. Tack driver accuracy, shoot 'em up assault, or plain jain hunting rifles can all be made from the 10/22. Have fun. Hi-Cap mags are very fun with a fast trigger finger.