GUN New gun not so new?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nozoki, Feb 3, 2008.

1. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

I wanted something just for plinking around the backyard with to get back into shooting, so I bought a S&W 22A-1. I haven't fired it yet, but I was planning to tomorrow. Here's my problem. I bought it "new" from a local dealer for $289. I looked at it in the store before I bought it and it looked in new condition, but after I got it home and started getting to know it better I noticed some wear on the tip of the barrel, like the paint is chipping off.

And then I found a repair ticket from S&W mixed in with some other pamphlets and registration cards. It said the customer complaint was "feeding" and the repair was "ADJUST SLIDE TO BBL FIT". The store was closed by the time I got home, so I can't contact them till Monday. Any suggestions? Is this legit for a dealer to do?

It was sold as new. The price tag said so and the saleman said so. They had a used one right next to it for $50 less that I was thinking of buying but it showed quite a bit of wear, so I decided to go for the new one. I didn't look down the barrel of the "new" one in the store, so I didn't see where the paint was wearing right on the end until I started breaking it down to clean it tonight. And then I found the repair ticket as I was going through the rest of the paperwork in the case.

2. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Sounds like you know what to do. Don't shoot it, just take it back and make them give you another one.

3. nozoki

Yeah, I guess I'll have to. Or get the difference between new/used refunded. But I'd want to fire a few hundred rounds through it first to make sure it's not gonna have any more feeding problems. But if I do that, they might try to give me shit. Kind of a Catch-22. Woe is me.

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I would definitely return it or at least demand some money back since it's obviously not new.

edit: replace the gun, don't get money back. if it had problems before, who's to say it won't again?

5. nozoki

That's what I'll do.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Get it refunded, you should be able to find a new 22a for $200ish anyway.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I would return it and demand a full refund. Even if they offered me a deep discount, I doubt I would take it, since they would still be making money on the deal. I'd find a new place to buy guns and ammo from in the future, no sense in doing business with a company with shady practices like that.

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Return it and spend your money elseware.

9. nozoki

Yeah, the problem is I can only buy one handgun per month here in VA until I get my permit to CCW. So I don't know how that rule will apply in a stuation like this. I think I can do an exchange, but not sure about being able to just get a refund and go down the street for another gun the same day. And I heard good things about this dealer, so I'm hoping it's just a mistake. The kid that sold it to me didn't seem real familiar with handguns. I don't think they have any more new in stock, so I might trade it for a Walther P22. I'd step up to a 9mm or .40, but I really want to get a bit of shooting in for practice, and .22 cartridges are cheaper than the higher calibers. Shit, they're cheaper than paintballs.

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I went straight to 9mm for my first handgun, and it's not that bad. :dunno: