New Google Toy - Free Web Accelerator (including for broadband!)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EvilSS, May 5, 2005.

1. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Gotta love Google (or fear them, I get confused).

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

It's essentially a compressing, prefetching web proxy. Works with all browsers (windows only, of course).

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it compresses images and you lose quality. If you read their privacy policy, it is also a HUGE intrusion on privacy/security.

I used to love google, but now they're one of the worst monopalistic companies I can think of. They want their hand in everything, and they'll violate your personal information however they like.

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I still love google, I don't really think they care what we do. They track where we go to place more relevant ad's, and thats about it.

4. MrFaldyn

MrFaldyn MrFaldyn

i will never install that crap on my computer

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

How can they violate your privacy? Violating implies they are doing something without consent. They are very upfront about what information is going where. I would imagine the only interest Google has is to use the information to tune their search engine. What the hell else would they use it for? Considering they don't know WHO the user is really limits the diabolical tinfoil hat value of the information.

As for image compression, I've noticed zero degradation. There is nothing in the Google info stating that they are using lossy compression (there are loss-less ways to compress images, you know).

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

And why would that be? I assume you've tried it, or even know what it is, right?

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The only Google things I'm a fan of are their search engine and Picasa... That's it...

I've seen the Google toolbar really screw up machines so anytime I work on a machine and see it, I uninstall it...

I haven't used the Google Accelerator, but I've seen the ones other ISP's use and the pictures look like crap.

I have Opt Online cable and it's more than fast enough to have to use an accelerator program.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I'm playing with the accelerator now. I'll post screen-caps of some images later tonight to compare. I have seen no indication of lossy image compression. I haven't noticed much in the way of speed either but I'm going to run it though the weekend to let the cache build up.

As for Google toolbar, I've used in on all my personal machines (about 8 total) and I have never had any issues with it. It is actually the best behaved toolbar addon I've seen. I've replaced other search bars with it on occasion on customer Citrix servers when they insist on giving their users a search bar (which I usually discourage completely, but whatever)

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nothing says it's lossy, but nothing says that it's loss-less, either.

And, btw, with the overhead of actually performing loss-less compression, your bandwidth savings will be negated -- especially considering that a loss-less compression on the already lossy jpeg format results in almost nil space-saving benefits.

10. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I'm sure the nerds at Google know more about compression than you do. I wouldn't be too concerned about which methods they're using because I'm sure they're using the best for their purposes.

11. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

What's the difference in your ISP and Google seeing this information? Personally, I have more faith in Google than Comcast or any other monopalistic telecommunications company. I'd rather participate with the toolbar and help Google make assumptions on Internet data, than not doing so because I fear they'll login to my OT account and close your threads. Your ISP could do the same but I don't hear anyone bitching about that.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a signed TOS/AUP contract saying that my ISP can NOT do that. :mamoru:

13. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Whatever. It does not use lossy compression. I can find no difference between images rendered with it on and with it off.

I'm going to look at it this weekend. Benchmark it on my DSL and GPRS. I'm also going to look at the packets to see what it is doing.