new girlfriend and parents

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by amac88, Oct 2, 2007.

1. amac88

amac88 New Member

So, I met this new girl through her sister, she was really excited when I met her, "I finally found someone". Shes from California, but was unable to finish high school because of family problems she really had nothing to do with. We get along great, have the same birthday only one year apart, shes really funny and interesting, and would say the same about me Im sure.

Thing is, my mom and grandfather are extremely judgmental. Because she isnt in college and didnt get to finish high school (senior year), they dont like her. Do they care that I think she looks good, shes funny, we really get along, etc.? No. Im 19, shes 18, but I still live at home. The comments they made about her really pissed me off. My grandfather said "If you were out, and other people saw you with someone like that, what would they think?" I left the room after he said that. Then, my mom was like "Yes, Im prejudice against her because I want you to get a good education and be with someone who is in school" Im like WTF?! So because someone CANT AFFORD to go to school, theyre a bad person? How can I get them to accept her?

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

interesting. your family is right though. it would be smart to date someone with earning potential.

3. amac88

amac88 New Member

She works, its not like shes just sittin around.

4. Abomb

Abomb New Member

she hasnt even finished high school though.. statistically speaking she is probably going to be poor for the rest of her life :hsugh:

5. amac88

amac88 New Member

Because if someone doesnt have alot of money, they are incapable of caring for someone right? Money isnt everything.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You have to understand, that when parents think about your relationship they are thinking about your future. They're not thinking "oh, look at this cute, nice girl that our son can have fun fucking!" No, they are thinking "OMG, what if he actually falls in love with this girl?" You're 19, so they're thinking you are young and impressionable and unfortunately most guys that young can be dumb and fall in love and want to marry the first hot girl they have feelings for. What happens if they do get married and this girl can't find a job because, well, she never even finished high school and she's not even trying to go back and finish it. Why isn't she going back and trying to get her HS diploma BTW? If it's some BS like "she has a job already" that's a horrible answer.

It looks bad man. It looks bad to employers and it looks bad to caring family members. You can call them assholes all you want, but they aren't thinking with their dicks.

7. Abomb

Abomb New Member

money... is a lot of things.

8. kiri

kiri New Member

what is her current situation? is she working/trying to go to school/doing something else to further her life?

i don't know if you'll be able to "get them to accept her," but you could ease their minds by saying "look, i'm 19, i'm not getting married anytime soon, i just like this girl and we're having fun, so get off my back."

if it gets more serious... you'll have to cross that bridge when you come to it.

9. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

GED and (i hate saying this because of interest rates) student loans and she could continue her education. What this whole situation will boil down to is if YOU want her. This is not your families decision.

10. Two toys

Two toys New Member

my parents pass judgement silently. i've always appreciated them waiting until after the relationship was over to tell me how much they hated the girl. they let me make my own mistakes. they also know i'm into lots of different girls at any given time and have often seen me (before i moved out) go into my room with one girl at night and wake up in the morning with another. i honestly dont really know what my parents think about that, except for teh fact that my dad loves bragging to his friends that i have girls from all over the world so that i dont have to deal with any of them on a daily basis (which is true).

11. iwishyouwerebeer

Cool?

12. kiri

kiri New Member

:rofl: my thoughts exactly

13. iwishyouwerebeer

"hey guys, let me tell you about my awesome sexual prowess when it has no place in this thread!"
    :rolleyes:

14. Two toys

Two toys New Member

i felt like sharing my awesomeness.

15. Justin636

Justin636 Active Member

Time.

16. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

that is not what he is saying.....

however, school doesn't just bring in money to a family. it also makes a person well rounded.

17. Abomb

Abomb New Member

except for the fucking general ed courses they make you take and those fucking weed out courses :rant:

18. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Anyone who says they can't afford to go to college, is making excuses, and will always blame others for their issues.
    She can get loans, she can work her ass off, thats how I'm getting through.
    You will get to a point where you can't have conversations on the same level.
    Enjoy her company for what it is, but don't have any illusions.
    Again, I want to stress anyone who says they 'just can't go to college' is full of fucking shit. If you want to get an education, there are PLENTY of ways to do so.

19. Abomb

Abomb New Member

well then good luck to you ma'am. i always respect people more that earn their own shit instead of having their parents give it to them. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

what are you majoring in (i hope you arent paying your way through college to major in history lulz)

20. demosnat

demosnat New Member

My major is Arabic (i'm white/non muslim) I graduate in a year now!
    I'm going to law school for international law with a focus on human rights law.

21. Abomb

Abomb New Member

law school... baaaaawlllaaaaaaa

oh and im dying of curiousity... why arabic as a white / non muslim?

why not spanish :mamoru:

22. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Because in a few years we'll be at war with all of the middle east and she'll be makin bank translating Osama's videos.

Serious note: My parent has always been the same way as yours are being and although I hated it at the time I've always appreciated her opinion in the long run. You like the girl and it's unfortunate that your parents aren't supportive of your situation but as beer mentioned, they are looking out for your future. No high school diploma means she's not going to be able to get much in terms of a job. I don't care if she's smart, that's the way the world works. Demo also made a point that anyone can go through college if they so desire, so it's completely on this girl. Perseverance and prioritizing will get anyone through school.

Yes, you may not be looking to marry this girl so it's "stupid to pass judgement on her" but assuming you're together a few years down the road, what have you gained? A girl who has no educational background and MUCH more than likely isn't bringing home much more money than a starving college student. Not much to create a family or lifestyle on.

23. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

Tell her to go to beauty school. :hs:

24. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I will certainly agree that money isn't everything.... However, I find it more important that a person be motivated and driven in their lives to accomplish tasks and set goals for themselves, so if while dating her or prior you see no interest in self-growth or motivation, than that my friend would be a sign of "ALARM"

25. dloseke

dloseke Noobish Silver Member

Exactly...it's important, but it's not everything. And that's not to say she can't continue her education later in life, though statistically speaking, it's not very probable.