SRS New girl, HPV

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by eidolon, Jan 28, 2007.

1. eidolon

eidolon New Member

I've been hanging out with a lot lately and we're both into each other and want to be in a relationship. However, she's got a past, and while she's been safe about things, HPV slipped through the cracks at some point. She's told me that she had developed warts at one point, and had abnormal PAP results. However, the last time anything at all has come up in screenings was in May of 2005.

Everything I've read has suggested that after 1-2 years with no symtoms or positives on tests, it's a safe bet that the immune system has fought off the virus. Soooooo... What I want to know is, realistically, what're the chances she's still capable of giving it to me at this point? Or is it more or less a sure thing that she can't transmit it after so long without it showing itself?

2. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I've read up a decent bit about HPV, but it's been a while, so forgive me if some of this is fuzzy. HPV is one of the more "tame" (for lack of better terms) STDs. There are only certain strains which actually cause genital warts to appear. HPV mostly comes without any symptoms at all, but if there are symptoms, it could take a while (a few months) before they actually show up. The CDC says that about 50% of sexually active Americans will contract HPV at some point in their life. Most people have it without knowing it. And as far as the different strains, you will only get infected if she has a different strain than one you may have or may have had...so you could already be infected and not even know it. It's a weird virus.

As far as preventing it, it is a bit more difficult since condoms don't completely cover your entire genital area. You may want to find out from her if she has taken the vaccine for it. I remember at some point last year the FDA approved a vaccine which is supposed to prevent cervical cancer and genital warts caused by certain HPV strains...I don't know if it's effective if she's already been infected, though.

Hope this is helpful. For more info, you may want to check these sites:

http://www.webmd.com/hw/std/hw105512.asp
    http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/default.htm

3. eidolon

eidolon New Member

Thanks for the reply busy.

I found this:

on http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_myths.cfm, and similar statements on some other pages. What I want to know is if that means the virus has just been suppressed? Or has it been eliminated? Can the person who had it still transmit even once it's gotten to that state?

4. johan

johan Active Member

Here are the facts:

HPV is warts.
    50% of young people have the wart virus.
    You can have the wart virus but not necesarily manifest symptoms. I.e. no bumps.
    The warts do tend to lessen and go away within 5 years or so.
    The ones that don't go away tend to be associated with more serious changes such as cervical cancer.

She can still transmit even when no warts are present, i.e. not actively shedding virus at that time.

My own recommendation is use condoms, and no oral sex on her when she's showing.
    good luck.

5. eidolon

eidolon New Member

I'm wearing condoms no matter what, I don't want babies, and I'm not taking a chance even though she's on birth control. I know condoms don't protect against HPV 100%, but it's better than nothing in that regard too.

I was thinking I'm gonna shy away from oral cause, well, I don't really care how remote the chance is, I don't want to risk warts on my mouth.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The warts may dissapear, but the virus stays in your body.

7. eidolon

eidolon New Member

Is it any more or less transmittable when it's dormant though? Or does it not matter?

8. gkremian

gkremian New Member

I think it's probably similar to shingles, meaning that the virus is always there but you can't transmit it unless you're shedding. However, I could be wrong.

9. eidolon

eidolon New Member

That's the impression I've been getting too, but I've heard contradictory information too :(

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Everyone has em or has had em. Dive in. Use a condom but... it might not stop the spread of HPV. Oral is fine if she has no warts. Finger play and a close inspection will tell you.

The exact details about transmission are not known. You can definately transmit if you have warts. Condoms don't completely protect the areas they can infect. If you haven't had symptoms for a few years, you're probably in the clear. Lots of grey area.

Not something to worry about. If you're a woman, get the vaccine. In your case: fuck her hard. And good. And soft... sweet, whatever.

11. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

its not supposed to be transmissible except during breakouts, however there is a period before/after a breakout where there's no visible signs but its still transmissible

12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

and, worst case scenario, HPV isnt *that* bad of an STD

if you really dont want it, maybe you should look for another girl, but, iirc, the stats are that approx 60% of people have it

13. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

HPV really has no male symptoms either, and there is no test to see if you have it if you are a male. So chances are, you already have it, and don't know it, and never will know it. Males are just carriers of the virus, whereas females get the joy of getting the symptoms. And like everyone said, it usually goes away on it's own.

14. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

males get symptoms

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Males can carry it without symptoms... supposedly. But yeah, males get symptoms. Warts.

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Isn't HPV the disease they are talking about on commercials now, the one that can increase your risk for some female cancer or something?

17. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I dated a girl that had HPV. I did some research on it. We eventually slept together for over a year. She maybe had one breakout once, and we didn't have anything sexual during that time. We played it safe, I could of contracted it, but have seen 0% of anything. Its a matter of being smart about it if you really want to have anything sexual with her.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes. They're talking about it because there is a vaccine. This is cool, because almost everyone in their 20s that is sexually active has or has had HPV. There are lots of strains, and some cause cervical cancer.

19. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I hate to break it to all the guys out there who don't know, but like 1 in 2 girls now have a form of HPV. But guess what? There's only like 1 type that could even affect guys (and it's treatable, but more importantly extremely rare). Guys pretty much only carry and give it to other girls, we are the ones that get stuck with cervical cancer and shit.

20. Crush

Crush Epidural hematoma up in this bitch

The virus can go away in time.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Right. In other words: this is not something he should really worry about.

22. MassMan

MassMan OT Supporter

not true

23. MassMan

MassMan OT Supporter

wow, you could not have been any less accurate. And, if you work in healthcare, i hope to god that's not what you tell your patients.

while the virus is only really cosmetic in men, there's not only 1 type that can effect men. Some medical books state that over 90% of sexually active people have at least one type. There are something like a hundred different types of hpv viruses , I think it's 22-23 that can lead to cervical cancer in women. (and just for good measure, the vaccine that came out doesn't protect against all HPV, just the 22-23ish ones that lead to cervical cancer)

It is not rare for men to be infected, but it is relatively rare that they will show symptoms. it is also not 'treatable' as it is a virus, so other than treatments that will limit exacerbations/duration the virus will stay in your system. Most books state that there is a possibility of transmission even without symptoms. the tricky part is that the warts may be internal on a female and you/her may not be aware.

hope that helps somewhat?

24. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Yuck...

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You are wrong. If you haven't had an outbreak in 3 years, the virus is probably gone.