New Gaming Build - Rate iT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mike00, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Anyway been toying around with doing a new build in a few months and I figure I'll just do that now. So I have been out of tech scene for a few years so here is what I came up with from some quick reading.

Case - Antec 900
    PSU - OCZ 700w PSU
    Mobo - Abit AB9 QuadGT LGA 775 Intel
    CPU - Intel E8400
    Video - MSI 512mb 9600GT
    Memory - Crucial 2x2gb DDR2 800
    HD - Western Digital Caviar SE16
    OS - Vista Home 64bit

Other then that I'll pick up a pretty generic dvd drive and probably a new mouse/keyboard (maybe something optimized for gaming any suggestions? )

Also should I get a cpu cooler and if so what one?

It's been a few years since I've been into the tech scene and that long since I built a pc so I am open to any suggestions. I priced everything to be about 1200 bucks which is about the range I'm looking to be in although I wouldn't mind spending a little more if it would make a real difference.

BTW this is all being displayed on a Dell 24 inch widescreen monitor. I'm assuming GFX card should be good enough for todays gaming. Also the one area I am really unsure about is the motherboard. What's a decent board these days?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You'll only need a cpu cooler if you intend on overclocking.
    The stock Intel ones are actually pretty decent.

That Abit board will be solid. So would a Gigabyte. And if you don't plan on overclocking, you could save a few bucks and get an Intel P35 board.
    In the long run, you can expect the Intel board to be at the top of stability.

Western Digital drives are good, but I would go with Seagate, simply for the 5 year warranty, if nothing else.

Crucial memory is good, no problem. I would see if Corsair XMS2 is cheaper though. If it is, go with the Corsair.

I'm not into gaming, but I've been seeing people saying the 8800GT is a better card. Something to look into.

4. Brian May

Brian May New Member

I personally would choose EVGA over MSI for the video card. I love their warranty coverage and the step-up program they offer. That's just my opinion. Do what you want :)

Same deal with me. About a week ago I built myself a nice little machine. It's been 10 years since I built my own PC. Google and wikipedia both helped tremendously in catching up with the newer technology thats available.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

That AB9 is old.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

7. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Had already switched out video card per suggestions I got and PSU was overkill so that's gives me that to go with. HD is easy since I chose that one originally. Guess I'm all set then.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

9. rawr

rawr Trick Or Treat OT Supporter

Id go with a 8800 gt/s with the g92 core and a p35 mobo
    a 600w psu would be more then enough power

10. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:werd: Plus get a Segate HD instead of WD

11. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

I'm curious as to why you want the 64-bit over the 32-bit version? Is it just so you can have the full 4GB memory?

Has Microsoft fixed Vista's 64-bit versions? I have only used the 64-bit version of XP and I wasn't impressed, especially considering half the stuff just ended up being 32-bit anyway, makes no sense?

12. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

4 gig memory yes which is handy if going to Vista and the 64bit has and will continue to be improved upon. Just like the core duo chips have been.

Basically since this is a system that will last me the next 2 years or so I wanted to future proof it as much as possible.

I still have a xp system with 2gig and 7800gtx for anything older that doesn't work but Vista and 64 support in general has gotten a lot better and will only continue to be improved upon.

Anyway since people are still responding I already order the system and actually received most of parts today.

Anyway here's the final build:

Antec 900 Case
    Corsair 520HX
    E8400 CPU
    Abit IP35-E Motherboard
    MSI 8800GT
    Corsair XMS2 2x2gb DDR2 800 Memory
    WD 640 Hard Drive
    Vista 64 Home Premium

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

64bit windows has been around for a while now, and it's still not very relevant.

Getting that now for the sake of future proofing the build is really not very practical.

If you must, then look on ebay and find a retail copy of the 32bit + 64bit discs.

Then if you see that it is becoming important to you, you could upgrade to the 64bit at a later date.

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i wouldn't consider 64-bit os for 99% of PC usage. i consider that more of a server need or someone who is working with huge amounts of data like professional video editing and the like. from what it sounds like, there is pretty much 0 benefit to anyone who uses less than 3.5Gb of memory or so.

15. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

4gig of memory....